question

XP Admin avatar image
XP Admin asked Phong Vu commented

Where to find DeviceID of RingCentral App. (Not the softphone)

Hello,

I am able to find the all of the DeviceID's assigned to an extension by calling this endpoint:

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/accountId/extension/extensionId/device

I can then use these DeviceID's to place a call using my chosen device by calling this endpoint and supplying the DeviceID:

https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/accountId/telephony/call-out

My question:

How do I find the DeviceID of the RingCentral App?

https://www.ringcentral.co.uk/desktop-app.html

The /extension/~/extensionId/device EndPoint only returns the ID's for Softphones and Hardphones

Thank you

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Unfortunately, right now the RingCentral desktop app and the RingCentral mobile app do not register their device id. Thus, you cannot get the device Id of those "phones".

I have not further info as when or if we are going to support this. But once I have the info, I will be more than happy to share with developers.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

XP Admin avatar image
XP Admin answered Phong Vu commented

Hi @Phong Vu,

Ok, thanks for clarifying that

It's my understanding that the Softphone is slowly being phased out, and we are encouraged to switch to the RingCentral Desktop App https://www.ringcentral.co.uk/desktop-app.html

If we switch to the desktop app, this will render many functions of the API useless, am I right?

Will it ever be possible to use the CallOut EndPoint with the Desktop App?

Thank you

1 comment
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

No, CallOut endpoint needs the device id and right now the app does not register a device id. So it is only possible with a RingOut :(

0 Likes 0 ·
Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

This type of similar query is already in the forum.

For reference: https://forums.developers.ringcentral.com/questions/10052/callout-using-mobiledesktop-app.html

1 |3000

Owain Price avatar image
Owain Price answered

Are the API limitations for each of your products documented?

This is obviously critical information that our clients would need before we could sell a custom solution.

1 |3000

XP Admin avatar image
XP Admin answered XP Admin commented

Hello RingCentral,

With the latest email regarding the EOL of the RC Meetings app we are forced to switch the the RC unified app, has the issue regarding the lack of DeviceID been resolved?

Thank you

@Phong Vu

4 comments
1 |3000

Unfortunately, the RC unified app still does not support device id. But I am not sure how this is related to the EOL of the RC Meetings app? Do you need the device id to make a call-out using API? Let me know your use cases.

0 Likes 0 ·
XP Admin avatar image XP Admin Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Phong,

Thanks for getting back to me, regarding how its related - I can see the next phase being the EOL of the RC phone app and a switch to the unified app. As we utilise the call-out API within our CRM we need device ID's to place the call using the correct device

Do the dev team have this on their road map?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ XP Admin commented ·

We are aware of this and we are not going to sunset the RC Phone app any time soon. What is your account id or account name. I want to add your company to the request list so we have stronger push for this. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Ben Smith avatar image
Ben Smith answered

I'd be interested in following this as well. I'm attempting an integration between RingCentral and another cloud system, and I've found that the users must have the RingCentral Phone app installed in order to present a deviceID to get a handle on and use MakeCall. If we're being pushed to use the new unified app, which doesn't have a deviceID, this is going to have a major impact on the way the company does business

1 |3000

Aaron Smith avatar image
Aaron Smith answered Phong Vu commented

Has the status of this changed at all? It would be really useful for our users if we could expose the RC mobile app as a device for them.

1 comment
1 |3000

Sorry, still no support for this because of the dynamic device id from WebRTC app.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys