question

barry-williams avatar image
barry-williams asked Jerry Perez answered

The RingCentral program disappeared from the Start menu in my Windows 10 laptop.

The RingCentral app has disappeared from the Start menu in a Windows 10 laptop and another Windows 10 desktop machine, apparently after a recent Windows update. The program was loading to a blank screen. After I updated to the latest version of the app, the program is now working, but it still doesn't show up in the Start menu. Any idea what's going on?

ringcentral app
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hello, @barry-williams. Have you tried to configure the settings of your computer? The instruction below may help;

Open Run command box by pressing Windows logo + R keys. In the Run command field, type shell: startup and then press Enter key to open Startup folder. Copy and paste the app shortcut from the desktop to this Startup folder, and the app will be added to startup.

0 Likes 0 ·
barry-williams avatar image barry-williams commented ·

Thanks for the reply. The program didn't disappear from my Startup menu; it disappeared from the All Programs (left) side of the Start menu and was no longer pinned to the Start (right side) menu either.

I wonder if it has something to do with the somewhat unusual location of the program, which is apparently here: C:\Users\B*****s\AppData\Local\Programs\RingCentral

Thanks again

Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ barry-williams commented ·

Would you please try to uninstall/reinstall your app?

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks, Mary. I did download and reinstall the latest version of the software. It didn't fix the issue.

Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ barry-williams commented ·

Hi @barry-williams I will check with the Product Team for this, and I will get back to you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Walczak avatar image
Kevin Walczak answered mary-community-moderator commented

Hi Barry - This is actually a pretty simple fix you can use to "pin" any icon to just about any toolbar or menu in Windows 10. To "pin" something means to "lock" the folder or program icon in place for easy access.

1.) In the "search bar" next to the start menu is a great place to start when looking for anything you believe to be saved on your hard drive (usually "c - drive") including individual personal documents or specific "program files" like the one we're about to look for.

2.) In that search bar (magnifying glass) next to the "start" menu (windows icon on bottom left), type "RingCentral". For the results, you'll notice the RingCentral logo pop up and it will give you a few different options. There is no "wrong" choice here; meaning, you are able to choose "pin to start", "pin to taskbar", "open file location etc." "Pin to start" & "Pin to Taskbar" are what you want if you use RC everyday like I do, just for ease of access.

If you choose to not follow the directions in step two, which is fine (again, you won't break anything), when you see that RingCentral icon pop, you can right click on the icon and choose "pin to start".

As a general lesson, anytime you right click on a folder or "application icon" like RingCentral, you will be given the option to "pin to start" or "pin to taskbar."

Moving forward, if something becomes "unpinned," making it hard to find when you need to access it, simply type the name of the program, file, or folder in that search bar (bottom left) to find it, open it, pin it, uninstall it, etc. etc.

Lastly, if no results are yielded with your search, there's a good chance you may have accidentally deleted or uninstalled the program on accident, which I've done before.

if you type in "Ringcentral.exe." and are able to right click the file and choose "run as admin", RC should reinstal and you should be good to go.

If all else fails, installing a fresh image of Windows should be your last report. If this is a reoccurring issue with other app. files, reinstalling windows should your second choice after you try steps one and two. If fresh install of Windows fails, I'm guess it may be hard drive issue. I can help you out either way.

shoot me an email at kevin@isoliance.com and I'm happy to send you the weblinks to fresh installs of windows 10. Don't download windows 11 yet if you already haven't. Wait at least six months to a year so they can fix all the bugs.

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks, Kevin for taking the time to do a long reply.

Unfortunately, I had already done everything you suggested except for reinstalling Windows and repinned it to the taskbar and the right side of the Start menu, with the other frequently used programs. I was puzzled that it still refuses to show up under the All programs on the left side of the Start menu as shown here:

1640977978391.png

It's more puzzling than being a serious hindrance and was wondering if this had happened to anyone else, which might have indicated that it came from a Windows update.

Happy New Year,

Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
1640977978391.png (50.0 KiB)

Hi @barry-williams I am still checking this with Product Team.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jerry Perez avatar image
Jerry Perez answered

I have noticed this problem in latest windows 11 client installs on a domain, it installs fine on administrator accounts and the ringcentral app shortcut shows on desktop under the users\administrator\appdata\ringcentral path. However, once you login as a standard user the shortcut is no longer there nor is it in the users\????\appdata\ringcentral folder path. The workaround I have found is this give the standard user admin rights temporarily, reboot or logout then sign back in with the users new permission role, install ringcentral so that it installs to the users path, once installed,sign out and login as admin (then remove the users admin role).SIgn back in as the standard user that had the issue and VOILA! Ringcentral Office Client is there and it will now work. This is clearly a development problem that should be addressed ASAP BY RC Support, The application should install to the Public Users side of things to minimize this sort of issue.

Anyways, hope this helps for all!

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app