question

taylor-ellis avatar image
taylor-ellis asked arun-baheti answered

Chat export

Does anyone know how to get an easily readable export of the chat history? The json file is incredibly confusing for anyone not in IT. Would love a pdf or something similar that shows the user names and messages vs assigning user ids.

ringcentral app
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

arun-baheti avatar image arun-baheti commented ·

Bumping this thread. I need to export a few chats and can't figure out how to make it readable or easily useable by my folks. I want it to be in normal text so we can search add the chat content to a knowledge folder that we can search for info. I also want to have the entire chat, not just 180 days, is that possible, especially for legal compliance?

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered mary-community-moderator commented

Hello! This feature is currently not available. There's a similar feature request posted that you can vote on, but feel free to submit a new idea if you have more details.

https://ideas.ringcentral.com/ideas/CUSTCOM-I-3624

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

I can read the text, but I get JSON code like this instead of a transcript that we can read or use for legal etc. There must be a way to view the actual chats, right? Or what JSON tool do I need to use? I tried a couple of JSON translator apps online and they didn't help. How would I read a transcript that looks like below? (just two line sample below)

{

"records": [

{"id":"42040674336772","text":"Thank you!!","creator":{"id":"62466275004"},"creationTime":"2022-09-21T15:00:55.522Z","lastModifiedTime":"2022-09-21T15:00:55.522Z","chatId":"37171757062","deleted":false},

{"id":"42042482606084","text":"Awesome thank you!","creator":{"id":"62466287004"},"creationTime":"2022-09-21T15:28:25.526Z","lastModifiedTime":"2022-09-21T15:28:25.526Z","chatId":"37171757062","deleted":false},

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ arun-baheti commented ·

@arun-baheti, I would suggest that you submit a ticket to Tech support so they can check if there's an issue with it.

https://support.ringcentral.com/new-case.html

0 Likes 0 ·
arun-baheti avatar image
arun-baheti answered mary-community-moderator commented

Thanks! So, can you help me understand what the export feature would be used for? If I export chats (glip chats) is there any way for me to view the content? How do I convert it? Like if we needed to produce the chats for a legal case, how would I get them out? Is there a way to "read" the JSON files so I can see what the messages in chat said?

1 comment
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
arun-baheti avatar image
arun-baheti answered mary-community-moderator commented

Thanks! Yes, I read that article before trying to export. But when I export I get JSON files. Is there a recommended way for me to view these in a manner my users can actually read?

6 comments
1 |3000

I will have to verify this. I'll get back to you once I have an answer.

1 Like 1 ·
arun-baheti avatar image arun-baheti mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks, look forward to a solution. We are anxious to get the chats out for corporate record/archiving in a format we can read (or a way to look at the JSON files and read the transcripts)

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ arun-baheti commented ·

Hi @arun-baheti; I'm still asking around. I will follow up and will make sure to get an answer within the day.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
arun-baheti avatar image
arun-baheti answered

Hmm, ok, I'll open a ticket. Thanks.

1 |3000

Joe Cache avatar image
Joe Cache answered arun-baheti commented

We had the same issue - where managers wanted to see various chats - and we got the same answers from RC.

We ended up using the add-on of RingClone.- quite easy to set up, and It takes all the json files - and I mean ALL - phone, text, glip, fax and presents it with an easy to use search panel.

We are also using it to archive to a encrypted and immutable Wasabi S3 storage bucket (for forensic purposes) so there's no loss of data after the RC BS 'we can't save anything over 6 months...' cutoff.

They can also load your indexes back for the six months. :) They're quite helpful.

Hope that helps.

7 comments
1 |3000

Thanks for the recommendation, @Joe Cache! Glad to have you!

0 Likes 0 ·

@Joe Cache thank you! I will check out this tool, I've not heard of it. On the 6 months... does that mean all my chats older than six months are lost to me -- I can't export them? Yikes. That's not fun for corporate records or compliance. Or does this tool grab it all? I've been tempted to copy/paste out of the chats, but that will be painful. I'm still a little confused by Ring exporting stuff to a format that RIng can't tell me how to read, but, that's another thread I guess.

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe Cache avatar image Joe Cache arun-baheti commented ·

Yep! their stance is that they keep 6 months and they don't care about compliance or laws - that's up to 'us' to do the exporting and saving.

If you haven't exported the json files prior to the six months - their stance is "too bad, we told you... see right there - in that web page." (that was a nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned)

RingClone can only go back the same 6 months (as they're an outside vendor)

0 Likes 0 ·
arun-baheti avatar image arun-baheti Joe Cache commented ·

Wow, thanks! I am surprised corporate customers are able to live with the six month thing. I genuinely didn't even think about it, just assumed it would be accessible. It looks like I can go back beyond six months from inside the RC app, so maybe I need to make sure an admin account has joined any important chat groups in case we need to go back in time to look for things.

0 Likes 0 ·

Are there non-Ring partners that could go back further?

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe Cache avatar image Joe Cache arun-baheti commented ·

Unknown... didn't find one in the short time I had to look, but I think they'd be in the same boat as the rest of us.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks again. I just signed up and turned it on, but can't figure out how to get old glip chats out of it. Also seems tied to users vs our public group chats which is what I need to grab. Will contact them and see if it can do this!

0 Likes 0 ·
arun-baheti avatar image
arun-baheti answered

Well, I have the official answer from Ring tech support on my ticket. Basically, they export into a format that isn't readable. He did say something about converting JSON to comma delimited as an option but no details, so i'll start googling. :-)

"Please be advised that we don't have any tool to check for the json files downloaded on the compliance exports request."

1 |3000

arun-baheti avatar image
arun-baheti answered

They replied to my request for the websites they mentioned...

This is an email update regarding the ticket, here are the two websites:

https://data.page/json/csv

https://conversiontools.io/convert/json-to-csv

This is an extra mile for us to provide the website. Thank you.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app