question

May Rico avatar image
May Rico asked hollymcalister657 commented

want mobile app to ring when desk phone on DND

I have a desk phone and the mobile app on my cell. When away from my office, I want to set my desk phone to DND so as not to disturb those around me. However, this ALSO keeps my mobile app from ringing and any incoming calls go to voice mail. Is there a way to have desk phone on DND while still allowing mobile app to ring?

ringcentral app
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

May Rico avatar image May Rico commented ·

Thank you for responding. To clarify: when I say desk phone I am referring to an actual phone on my desk. Not my computer. I'm not in the office right now so I don't remember the equipment model, but it's a desk phone provided by Ring Central, and it has a physical DND button.

0 Likes 0 ·
ryan-gosling avatar image ryan-gosling May Rico commented ·

oh yeah, my reading comprehension :D .... in that case, Yes there is a solution.

I think the simplest, most convenient way for you would be to do this form the mobile app. This is the pathway for Android:

mobile app > click on your profile pic > Phone > Call Handling >
click on your deskphone under My devices > disable the "Active" slider

When you want the phone to ring you would have to do the same steps.
....>enable the "active" slider.

Alternative solution would be to use a custom rule which you can set up in the admin portal. This makes sense only if you have scheduled times when you are outside of office. For example you could create a rule according to which every Wednesday from 2 to 4 PM only your mobile app rings.
If you leaving the office is not scheduled the best thing is the manual method above. You can tell me if you need help with creating a custom rule.

0 Likes 0 ·
hollymcalister657 avatar image hollymcalister657 ryan-gosling commented ·

yeah! I was about to say the same.

0 Likes 0 ·
ryan-gosling avatar image ryan-gosling May Rico commented ·

this is the path for Custom rules for scheduled absence

Log in the admin portal > Users > click on the user > Call Handling > Custom Rules > Add rule.

In the pop up that opens you have 3 steps.
1. name of the rule - up to you.
2. conditions of the rule - choose date and time when you are out of office
3. define call handling - choose "Ring my devices" > Call handling > and disable the deskphone.

0 Likes 0 ·
May Rico avatar image May Rico commented ·

Thank you for your help. I just want my mobile app to always ring regardless of what other devices are on DND, so custom rule is not necessary. I will check if the "active" slider is toggling off when desk phone is set to DND. Thanks for the tip!

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

ryan-gosling avatar image
ryan-gosling answered

I don't think so. Instead you could either set your PC volume to 0 when you are away from the office.

2nd option is to quit the app. This means, for example if you are using Windows, at the bottom right next to the clock you can right click on the Ringcentral icon > Quit. Don't sign out of the app :D When you come back to the office, run the app and it will automatically sign you in.
If you do sign out, you would have to type password, and 2 factor authentication code.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app