question

xenios-llc55 avatar image
xenios-llc55 asked xenios-llc55 commented

How can you configure the first leg of RingOut call to ring both Desk phone and Softphone?

In the developer sandbox a Ringout call rings the Softphone, there is no physical desktop phone.

But when there is a softphone and a desktop phone only the desktop phone is ringing for me.

Other incoming calls ring both the desktop and the softphone.

ringout
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered
Can you clarify how you call RingOut in this case? What numbers you are specifying as "from" and "to"?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

xenios-llc55 answered

The "to" is my personal cell phone # and the "from" is the 'DirectNumber' of my extension.

I am logged into my softphone. My physical desktop phone rings but not the softphone.

In my sandbox configuration where I have only a softphone the first leg of the RingOut rings the softphone.

Incoming calls ring both, if they exist.

If the question is the form of the "to" and "from" numbers then the answer is "1NpaNxxXxxx".

1 |3000

anton-nikitin answered xenios-llc55 commented
If you go to service.ringcentral.com, do you see that "DirectNumber" is assigned to your desk phone? In this case such behavior is expected. For direct numbers with attached line (device), RingOut routes the call directly to this device (all rules are bypassed). And, you are right, this behavior differs from regular incoming call where call passes through all defined rules.

If you want all your phones to ring in case of RingOut, you should specify direct number not assigned to any device or company number + extension (like +18001234567*102). 

But keep in mind, that there is one disadvantage of such approach: your second leg will start connecting before you actually pick up the first leg (internally call is answered by answering machine which plays announcements, starts finding you according to defined rules, etc). So the use you are calling to might pick up call earlier than you and hear your automated greetings. 
1 comment
1 |3000

xenios-llc55 avatar image xenios-llc55 commented ·

Thanks for the good explanation.

Doesn't allow me to nicely accomplish what I want.

Is there a way to temporarily suspend or turnoff a desk phone so the first leg of a RingOut will hit the SoftPhone?

0 Likes 0 ·
anton-nikitin answered
Can you  tell me your production phone number you specify as "from" for RingOut?
1 |3000

xenios-llc55 answered

Then, as per your discussion, I experimented with +18885225975*126

1 |3000

anton-nikitin answered xenios-llc55 commented
So, didn't it work as I described when you used +18885225975*126?

Actually there is one more way which is available for you in Sandbox and probably will be available in Production next week.

You can retrieve the list of forwarding numbers configured for extension using /account/~/extension/~/forwarding-number. In this list you will see the numbers of devices + external PSTN numbers available for call forwarding. You should be able to see your softphone in this list. Each of these numbers has ID. 

Now, when you call RingOut, instead of specifying  "from": { "phoneNumber": "XXXX"} you can specify "from": { "forwardingNumberId": "YYYY"} where YYYY is ID of your softphone.

It is new feature, and I wonder if it can be useful for you.
7 comments
1 |3000

anton-nikitin avatar image anton-nikitin commented ·
OK, you are right. I have reproduced it. Definitely a bug. And it will behave this way in Production as well.

Thank you for finding it.

We will fix in the next version. For the time being you can just use extension ID instead of tilda (tilda as accountId seems to work correctly).
1 Like 1 ·
It appears the accountId and extensionId need to be specified instead of the tildes (~) in Sandbox. Will this be true in Production or will the ~'s be accepted?
0 Likes 0 ·
anton-nikitin avatar image anton-nikitin commented ·
What API are you trying? It works perfectly for me on both Sandbox and Production.
0 Likes 0 ·

I haven't tried production yet.

The content request body is:

{"from":{"forwardingNumberId":"426870004"},"to":{"phoneNumber":"15854747510"}}

Using:
https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/~/ringout

Returns:
{
  "errorCode" : "CMN-102",
  "message" : "Resource for parameter [~] is not found",
  "errors" : [ {
    "errorCode" : "CMN-102",
    "message" : "Resource for parameter [~] is not found",
    "parameterName" : "~"
  } ],
  "parameterName" : "~"
}

But this works:
https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/130385004/extension/130411004/ringout

0 Likes 0 ·

I have some additional questions about obtaining the forwarding Id for an extension's Softphone.

What  is the process?

Look for a label of "SoftPhone" in the ForwardingNumberList?

Is there a scenario where there are 2 SoftPhones? Mobile and Desktop. Do each have there own Id? if so, how would you distinguish them?

Should I first be getting the Extension's devices and use the found SoftPhone info to somehow find it's forwarding id?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
xenios-llc55 answered

Yes, using +18885225975*126 worked as you described, but the "to" number was ringing first. I don't like that behavior.

The forwardingNumberId seems like it will be my solution. Difficult to test in the sandbox, as there is no hardphone coexisting with a softphone. I can validate it does connect to the softphone.

Thank you very much.

1 |3000

anton-nikitin answered
You can "fix" this behavior when calling +18885225975*126 by switching off all greetings/screening/etc. via Service Web. However I understand that it is not acceptable in general.

The approach with forwardingNumberId should work. The whole idea of RingOut was that if you want to use  your RingCentral number as "from", it should directly connect you to the particular desk- or softphone. Since we are hiding phone numbers assigned to softphones in some cases, the only reliable way is to select it by its id from forwarding numbers list. So, when end-user initiates RingOut call, he/she should be prompted to choose the endpoint (desk phone, softphone, PSTN number) where he/she want to pick up the first leg.
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys