question

jeff-stevens avatar image
jeff-stevens asked matt-lamond737 commented

Do I need to register an app before connecting?

If I am connecting to the APIs from Salesforce - Do I need to register an app at my developer.ringcentral.com account first?

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

tt2 avatar image
tt2 answered
Basically yes.

Whenever you want to use our APIs in order to go to production you need to first build and test your app in the sandbox, then emulate enough of a usage pattern that approximates your production level usage and allow us to monitor your app, then you would request a production key from us.

Could you tell us more about what exactly you are trying to do from Salesforce?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jeff-stevens avatar image
jeff-stevens answered matt-lamond737 commented
Makes sense.  thanks.

Yes - it looks like the only SMS function is from the softphone.  I am going to want to send SMS's from a Salesforce Contact record.  I thought that I would just build an embedded visualforce page in Salesforce, and call the SMS API's to my RingCental account.  Just working through the oAuth connection code now.
9 comments
1 |3000

jeff-stevens avatar image jeff-stevens commented ·
Wow - That's great news!  Yes, we use the integration app for SF already.  Keep track of call logs, use the screen pop (wish there was more capabilities there), and other features.  In fact - the SF integration app WAS THE REASON we went with RingCentral.  Thanks for continuing to enhance it.  We will want to be on the cutting edge of using the SMS portion of the app.
1 Like 1 ·
matt-lamond737 avatar image matt-lamond737 commented ·
Jeff did you ever get this to work? We are also looking to implement SMS from a contact or opportunity and have no idea where to start... Thanks for any help!
0 Likes 0 ·
Never got it working.  We plan to try to get back into it in February.
0 Likes 0 ·
matt-lamond737 avatar image matt-lamond737 commented ·
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! We are about to hire a temp developer to perform some customizations to our system on leads. I am going to have him take a look at the RingCentral APIs as well and see if he can throw something together relatively quickly. I'll be sure to let you know how that goes, if it goes haha! I am not sure why a cheap and easy integration doesn't exist between these two beasts already for something simply like texting...
0 Likes 0 ·
Ya.  There's probably nobody out there willing to pay for the development time - and because nobody's done it yet - there is quite a bit of trial and error in it, so it get's pretty expensive.  If you find anybody who's already done it - you could pay them $500 per hour and still come out cheaper than someone who has never done it at $150 an hour.

Good luck with it.  If I get it working in February - I'll post back here again.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
tt2 avatar image
tt2 answered
Good our developer portal has all the tutorials and documentation you need to develop your own integration originating from Salesforce.

If you need individual technical support I suggest that you search within the community first then post another detailed question or open a support ticket here
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys