question

hack7995 avatar image
hack7995 asked hack7995 answered

Issue with using Alexa as Personal RingCentral Messaging Assistant

I have followed the post by Phong Vu for Turning Alexa into Your Personal Messaging Assistant. When I invoke the skill Alexa says "Unfortunately, your account does not support SMS message."

I have confirmed that my sandbox account has a couple of test voicemails, but no luck. A couple of times Alexa, said "You have no unread message.".

What am I missing?

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered
Hi Hack,

1. Did you add SMS permission to your RingCentral app?
2. Can you post the part how you call the message-store endpoint to get SMS or VoiceMail messages?

+ Phong
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

hack7995 avatar image
hack7995 answered
I did add the SMS permission to my RingCentral app. 

When you're asking about the call to the message-store endpoint, are you looking for my code in the index.js file or from the configuration tab in the Alexa Developer Console?

Do I need to modify anything in the index.js file?
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys