question

engineering-api-access8821 avatar image
engineering-api-access8821 asked anton-nikitin commented

Call recording format MP3 / WAV

I have had the call recording format changed from mp3 to wav. It was explained that this is an account wide setting. I am still getting some new recordings in mp3 and some in wav format. Is there another setting that is missing? Is does this setting only apply to new extensions added to the system after the change?

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered anton-nikitin commented
This setting can be changed at user level not the whole account. So it can depend on who is the owner of particular call leg and corresponding recording.
2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

fta-financial10232 avatar image fta-financial10232 commented ·
I can't locate any documentation or area in the UI to change file format to .wav. Can you tell me where i can do this? The lossy format of mp3 makes it hard to work with the audio. 
0 Likes 0 ·
anton-nikitin avatar image anton-nikitin commented ·
Robert, as far as I remember you cannot set it yourself. But customer support agent should be able to do it for your account.
0 Likes 0 ·
engineering-api-access8821 answered
Thank you for your quick reply Anton,

I failed to mention that I am downloading the call recordings using the RingCentral REST API.

I am required to download all call recording in wav format; does this mean that every new and existing extension needs to be set from mp3 to wav by RingCentral?  From what I understand, users don't have access to this setting.  Perhaps there is something that I have missed in the REST API that would allow me to request a specific format?
1 |3000

anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered
Actually we don't have neither the way to choose the format while downloading (i.e. to convert files on the fly) nor the way to configure the format programmatically. Probably you can utilize 3rd party conversion service e.g. https://aws.amazon.com/elastictranscoder/. If you are interested I can explore if there is the way to preset WAV as a default format for account, so all new users will get this setting automatically (but it is definitely possible to set the format for all existing users - you should contact customer support for it).

1 |3000

engineering-api-access8821 answered
Thank you again Anton,

I had thought that the account was set to default all new users to wav format.  If you are able to find out about any settings that could help I would appreciate it. I could transcode the file but it seems strange to do that if RingCentral can provided it in the required format it with just a few settings changes.
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys