question

adam-antoszewski avatar image
adam-antoszewski asked Tyler Liu commented

How do I create a Direct Ring Out using RingCentral Phone API?

How do I create a Direct Ring Out using RingCentral Phone API?

We have a .Net application that interacts with RC Phone via API. I am able to make a call (Ring Out), but then both caller and callee get a call. How do I make a direct call using an API where only the receiver gets a call and the caller gets a new open call on the softphone?

rest apiringout
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brandon-hein avatar image
brandon-hein answered
Not sure if it's possible using the .net sdk or via the api. I've built a "softphone" like application with windows forms using c#. It's more of a access gateway to ring central. Where actions taken on this application hits specific endpoints for the user to see. Giving the impression of a softphone. With that said... any dial out on my application uses the Ring Out api. Initiating the call from my app will "ring out" to the user's phone first. This requires my user to answer first. When Ring Central registers they picked the phone up, the ring cental backend will complete the call to what ever number was punched in. The direct ring out I believe you're trying to get at (IE: skipping the user picking up the phone first), is done with javascript using WebRTC. The call is placed and takes place via the web. The unfortunate thing here is the absence of the physical desk phone. Cool technology, just not ready for the .net applications yet. Hope my experience sheads some insight and value.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered
Your app is unable to make "direct" call if it's neither a hard phone nor a soft phone.  In order for your app to become a soft phone, you can use webRTC:  https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone

Your app can also automate an external soft phone by opening rcmobile://call?number=1650xxxxxx
So that external soft phone make the direct call for you.
1 |3000

adam-antoszewski answered Tyler Liu commented
Does this number need to be in user contacts? rcmobile://call?number=1650xxxxxx
Also, is this the number or account id?
What is the expected result? RC softphone activating and starting the call?
1 comment
1 |3000

Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
rcmobile://call?number=1650xxxxxx  the number is the phone number you want to call.

You can make it a link, so that user click that link, the RingCentral softphone starts and calls the number in the parameter.

And you can also try it in command line:  open 'rcmobile://call?number=1650xxxxxx'  I've tested it with macOS. Windows should have similar behavior.
0 Likes 0 ·
adam-antoszewski answered Tyler Liu commented

Thanks Tyler, I have automated an external soft phone by opening rcmobile://call?number=1650xxxxxx and it appears to be working well. It is also the simplest solution.

Since we are doing this from a webpage,  the form needs: 'method=post'

here is the code:

$("#rcCallButtonForm").attr("action", "rcmobile://call?number=%22" + extension + "%22");

1 comment
1 |3000

Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
Glad to know that it works. Post more details if you still have questions :)
0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys