question

howell1 avatar image
howell1 asked J.B. Ferguson commented

I can't find option to Text

I'm setting up RingCentral on my iPhone for the first time. I can't find any Texting (SMS) option, just fax.

I have a toll-free number as the main company number, but I have (2) local numbers each assigned to a separate extension. Can I text to/from those local numbers? If so, how?

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

J.B. Ferguson avatar image
J.B. Ferguson answered howell1 commented
Yes you can. You have to logged in as one of those numbers/extensions on your iPhone to be able to text from the number.
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

howell1 avatar image howell1 commented ·
Thanks, but I still can't make it work.  I have logged in with each local number and I don't see texting.  Based on a Knowledge Article, I think I should see Texting as an option when I hit the Compose icon, but it only shows me Fax.  When I hit Messages, the only choices are Voicemail and Fax.

What else can I try?  Is there another setting somewhere that I'm missing?
0 Likes 0 ·
michel5476 avatar image
michel5476 answered J.B. Ferguson commented
Correct, you cannot text to / from toll free numbers.  So to text from the RC app on your phone, you will need to be logged into one of your non-toll-free numbers.   You will still be able to set your outgoing caller id to display the toll free number, but all your fax/txt/voice messages will only be those from and to the number you login as.  
4 comments
1 |3000

J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
Thats correct. You need a digital line to be able to use SMS.
1 Like 1 ·
howell1 avatar image howell1 commented ·
As I commented above .. I have tried logging into each local number, but I still don't see anything for Texting.  Where should I be looking?  I only get Fax under the Compose icon.
0 Likes 0 ·
michel5476 avatar image michel5476 commented ·
Sounds like you will need to call RC tech support and confirm your numbers don't have any issues.   If you just setup normal new phone numbers, assigned them to extensions, and left all the extension settings as default, then texting should work.
0 Likes 0 ·
ed-sears13632 avatar image ed-sears13632 commented ·
don't have a phone number connected to ring central does this mean I cannot chat or text or even find my contacts or how to set them up?

0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey HOWELL,

It's possible that SMS simply has not been enabled on your new numbers yet. Please open a case so Support can take a look :)

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys