question

Daniel Siefert avatar image
Daniel Siefert asked mary-community-moderator edited

Unable to login with Google Account with 2 factor enabled using security key

With the RingCentral Meetings and Phone applications there's the ability to login via your Google Account.  However if you have your Google account protected with 2-Factor Authentication using a security key you get stuck after entering your username and password as your are presented with the following:

Has anyone found a setting you can update so that you can login?  Switching to using 2FA with a code or app isn't an option.  For now I'm just using my RC username and password as a workaround.

Thanks.
authentication
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jessica-community-moderator avatar image
jessica-community-moderator answered
Hi Daniel, 

I reached out to our Product Team, I'll let you know what they say when I hear back from them :) 
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jessica-community-moderator avatar image
jessica-community-moderator answered
Hi Daniel, 

The Product Team advised
Looks like a Google restriction. When signing in with Google, RC redirects to Google, using the system's local browser (IE on Windows System). They would then follow Google's login process and once done, Google would redirect back to us. That error message looks to be while they are still on the Google sign part and would not be RC.
Sorry we don't have more information! Hopefully someone on Community has found a workaround :) 
1 |3000

Daniel Siefert avatar image
Daniel Siefert answered
Thanks for the information. A potential way that RC could mitigate the issue is to use the default browser setting rather than go with IE/Edge.
1 |3000

trevor-parks avatar image
trevor-parks Suspended answered
this seems to be similar to the Mac connection issue.  when inspecting the application interaction and handoff in chrome, the error states "user cancelled", then attempts to redirect to the app anyway which displays an error "no internet connection detected.....".  It doesn't appear that the google authentication is being able to communicate with the ring meeting app, possibly due to a compatibility issue between browser settings, security parameters, or other.  What i find odd is that ring central meetings forces the application with no possible fallback.  Open an app to open a browser to handoff back to the app..  This behavior is the same if opened form the web; force open app, open new browser tab/window for login, then handoff to app.  is the application not able to communicate the login directly?  why is it dependent on a browser interaction?  why have 3rd party authentication when the app cant even communicate directly with the4 3rd party?  the responses to the issue from RC thus far seem to push the issue onto various outside factors;Google, browser settings, firewalls, etc...  but it seems that is lies directly in the coding and service worker issues when forcing the handover to the app.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app