question

robert-czymoch avatar image
robert-czymoch asked J.B. Ferguson commented

Dial by extension IVR key press setup

I am setting up an IVR where there is a prompt that asks the user to dial 1 if you know your parties extension. As an action there is no option under key press. I called suport and they suggested I create a user with no phone and then use a greeting that we record. But it really needs to either wait for the caller to enter an extension or it needs to go back to the main menu after so many seconds. I do not see a way of doing this. Can anyone give me some advice on how to set this up? It seems like something that should be standard.

ivr
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

peter-pelegris avatar image
peter-pelegris answered
I agree, I have no idea why the heck this works this way. I've been trying to do the exact same thing and it's very frustrating
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey Peter, unfortunately this thread lost the previous comments last week.

There is no need to set up an option to press anything if you know your party's extension. Our system recognizes extension dialing from the beginning of the call. So what I would suggest is you edit your greeting to say, "If you know your party's extension, you may dial it at any time" or something along those lines.

So for instance, if someone calls the main number on my test account, they reach my IVR. They already know they need to talk to Sheila and that her extension is 501. Instead of having to listen to the full IVR greeting, the caller can simply press 501 and will be routed to Sheila.
1 |3000

michael-williams avatar image
michael-williams answered J.B. Ferguson commented
Saadet, after just installing my new system, I was told IVR does not support multiple digit responses (just 0-9). I'd like to have something like "if you know your party's extension you may dial it at any time. press 1 for sales. or please hold for the operator." but I didn't see a way to dial extensions from the auto reception IVR with more than 1-digit extensions (I'd like to use 301, 302, 303, etc...). Are you able to dial muti-digit extensions from the first auto-attendant menu? Thanks, Mike
1 comment
1 |3000

J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
Mike....please re-read Saadet's response above. Especially, " Our system recognizes extension dialing from the beginning of the call. " 

Whoever told you that the IVR does not support multiple digit responses (just 0-9) was absolutely correct with regard to NON-EXTENSION number transfers. In other words, you cannot have them dial "21" to get to the Sales department, which might be actually set up as extension 1305. Yet, if they knew the extension number of Sales was 1305, they could dial it at the beginning of the call.

Does that make sense now? Test it out...you'll see it works just as Saadet explained above.
1 Like 1 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app