question

jon-wheeler avatar image
jon-wheeler asked mary-community-moderator edited

RINGCENTRAL <> ZOOM COMPATIBILITY ISSUE

I have Ringcentral installed on my MacBook as its my companies preferred choice for telephone calls and online meetings. On the weekend I was asked to host a personal (non work) meeting and I was asked to used Zoom. I set Zoom up and hosted a meeting. Now when I go to use my Ringcentral Meeting ID for my regular work meetings I get an error message in Ringcentral stating: "Leave meeting: This Meeting ID is not valid. Please check and try again" and a box to click that states 'Leave'. Its so frustrating that a) this happened as a result of using Zoom and b) the Ringcentral message is so unhelpful - it gives me literally no information or option as to how to fix it
meetings
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

aaron-satterwhite10476 avatar image
aaron-satterwhite10476 answered
I would uninstall Zoom.  Ringcentral Meetings is a rebranded version of Zoom and there is probably an issue running two versions of the same program.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mrunali-kadam avatar image
mrunali-kadam answered mary-community-moderator edited
How did you fix this issue? I am facing the same problem and its so irritating.
5 comments
1 |3000

jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Mrunali, 

Running an instance of Zoom and RC on your computer is going to cause compatibility issues. You'll need to delete one or the other. 
0 Likes 0 ·
mrunali-kadam avatar image mrunali-kadam commented ·
Thank you for looking into this! Yes, I deleted zoom but still getting same error when I open RC meetings.
0 Likes 0 ·
andrew-berry avatar image andrew-berry commented ·
I have also uninstalled Zoom and am unable to join a meeting. I've verified there are no Zoom processes running, so it seems unlikely Zoom is the problem.

Even if there are compatibility issues, uninstalling Zoom is not a solution. I need it for other meetings, and this indicates poor coding on the part of the RingCentral app.

I opened a support ticket with Zoom, and they'd never heard of any compatibility issues, which I imagine they would have if this was truly a compatibility issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Mrunali,

Make sure you're deleting all instances of Zoom:

1. Click on the search option in the top right of your desktop
  2. Search for ~/Library/Preferences/ then select Preferences. This will open up the Finder.
  3. In Finder, search for the file named ZoomChat.plist
  4. Right click on 'ZoomChat.plist', and select Move to Trash.
  5. Uninstall RC Meetings. Back in Finder, navigate to Applications. Find RingCentral Meetings, right click and select Move to Trash.
  6. (If Applicable) Uninstall Zoom. Back in Finder, navigate to Applications. Find Zoom.us, right click and select Move to Trash.
  7. Right click on the Trash Can in the bottom right and select Empty Trash.
  8. Restart your Mac.
  9. Reinstall RingCentral Meeting which can be found here: https://support.ringcentral.com/download.html

Andrew,

It's tied to the plist with Zoom and the RC app. I don't have any more details beyond that unfortunately. A permanent fix should be in place on our next meetings update in Q4 (barring any major hiccups and bugs)

0 Likes 0 ·
michael-leishman avatar image michael-leishman commented ·
Hey Jessica, you may want to make it more obvious that BOTH Zoom AND RC Meetings need to be re-installed.
  !!!  Note:  there have been updates to both software(s) since your post but I am not sure if this conflict between Zoom and RC has been resolved by either or both of them.
   On 3 occasions in the past 6 months I have had to uninstall both RC and Zoom and then re-install RC to get it to work.  Just sayin'
0 Likes 0 ·
Jordan J. avatar image
Jordan J. answered
When I follow the above instructions and search for the "zoomchat.plist" - nothing shows up under the search - even though I know I have both Zoom and Ring Central Room apps installed.  Am I doing something wrong?  
1 |3000

connie1 avatar image
connie1 answered
I was having this issue as well.  The "zoomchat.plist" file is in a hidden folder and you have to un-hide/show them:

See hidden files on Mac via Finder
  1. In Finder, open up your Macintosh HD folder
  2. Press Command+Shift+Dot
  3. Your hidden files will become visible. Repeat step 2 to hide them again
Complete article can be found here:
How to access hidden files on a Mac
https://setapp.com/how-to/show-hidden-files-on-mac

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app