question

sandra-schurer avatar image
sandra-schurer asked nicole-orlanzo commented

Want the option to set up my phone to not accept calls while on vacation and instead direct them to another extension

US

Deskstop IP Phone

While I am out of the office I do not want calls coming to my phone instead I want to transfer those calls to another extension. If the caller selects option 3 which is my line, I want those calls to go to ext 5 instead so I never have a voice mail left while I am gone.

call handling
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

nicole-orlanzo avatar image
nicole-orlanzo answered
Navigate to the Users section and select yourself. Under Call Handling & Forwarding select Custom Rules. Click the + Add Rule button (if you haven't already made one for vacation). If you've already made one, just click the Edit button next to it. 

Assuming you hadn't set one up yet, name your rule, and click next. Check the box next to Date and/or Time and then click the circle next to Specific Date Range. I generally set the start date/time to when the office closes on the last day I'm in the office and the end date/time to when the office opens the day I return. Click Next.

Leave Forward Calls selected and click the Call Handling section on the right. Inactivate any of your phones (I only have one) by clicking the switches until they're all gray. Then click the button with vertical dots and choose Forward to Other's Phones and select the person you want them forwarded to. 

Then under messages change the Message Recipient to that person, just to be safe.

Don't forget that on the day before you leave for vacation you'll need to set your status to Busy (not Do Not Disturb) and turn off Accept Call Queue Calls. If you select Do Not Disturb we've found that overrides your Custom Rules - which would make all your work for naught. :)

Hope this helps!
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

sandra-schurer avatar image
sandra-schurer answered nicole-orlanzo commented
Thanks kindly.  I will give this a try.  I appreciate the quick response!

1 comment
1 |3000

nicole-orlanzo avatar image nicole-orlanzo commented ·
No problem! Let me know if you run into any hiccups. :)
1 Like 1 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app