question

kobie-williams4026 avatar image
kobie-williams4026 asked kobie-williams4026 answered

Problem sending SMS containing a shortened URL within the text message

I am sending an SMS with a shortened URL in the message using your API sandbox while implementing password flow grant type from the developer sandbox.

The message gets queued and is never sent to the recipient because of the tiny URL contained in the text of the message. Does Ring Central not allowed shortened URLs to be sent over text?

If it is allowed then what do I need to do to get it to send a SMS with a shortened URL in the message?

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

peter-klyushkin5721 avatar image
peter-klyushkin5721 answered

Hi,

RingCentral does not block messages with short URLs. However, some US carriers do if a message is sent from a VOIP number. They consider URLs shortened with some popular services as spam. Specifically, I've heard people may have issues with "bit.ly".

Please, try different shortener services. I've heard Google's one works fine ("goo.gl").

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

Yes, basically shortened url are considered as spam and can be blocked at the carrier level. May be they do as security reasons. You can check this issue with back-end Dev support team

1 |3000

kobie-williams4026 answered kobie-williams4026 edited

Unfortunately, google no longer supports the service for new users.

1564775523137.png (72.6 KiB)
1 |3000

kobie-williams4026 answered

Looks like branded links only work i.e. rebrandly.com or https://www.capsulink.com

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys