question

Christa Dunn avatar image
Christa Dunn asked Phong Vu commented

Multiple people monitoring a single call

Can it be implemented that multiple people can monitor (barge, whisper, take over, silent) a call at a time? Only being allowed one person to monitor a call is not very beneficial. I've noticed that many people have been asking for this feature for years and there has been no motion of change. I can't imagine that it would be a hard thing to implement seeing as so many other phone companies have been do this for years. This request shouldn't be breezed over.

Can someone please give an update as to where this request is in the pipeline to deployment? Thank you!

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Phong Vu edited

Are you talking about using the supervision API? It is possible to create a multiple supervisors for a call monitoring group. Login your account at https://service.ringcentral.com then create a Call Monitoring Group, where you can select multiple users (that can monitor)

Read this blog for more information about how to monitor a call.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Christa Dunn answered Christa Dunn commented

I'm asking for the ability for more than one person at a time to join a call that is in progress. When a second person tries to join the call they are blocked out.

2 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Oh, that is a different thing. Because you mentioned earlier about monitoring a call so I suggested the call supervise API.

I don't think there is an API to add more persons to an active call. But if you really mean about monitoring, my previous suggestion would work.

0 Likes 0 ·
Christa Dunn avatar image Christa Dunn Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Is there a way for this to be developed?

0 Likes 0 ·
Christa Dunn answered Phong Vu commented

Is there a way for this to be developed?

1 comment
1 |3000

As I said, your question title was about monitoring, then your escalated question is about a 3rd person to join an active call. Then in your last comment you wrote "When a second person tries to join the call they are blocked out."

I am a bit confuse about what you want to achieve. But I thought you want to convert a normal call to a conference call, am I correct? If that is the case, there might be a complicated solution to use the WebRTC to do that. But please confirm here or create a new thread to explain better your use case.

0 Likes 0 ·
Christa Dunn answered Phong Vu commented

Ringcentral refers to the barge, whisper, take over, silent features as "call monitoring" https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/8086?language=en_US . So I'm not really sure why it's confusing when users refer to it as such.

If you remember older home phones when someone was on a phone call another person could listen to that phone call by picking up another phone that was connected to that same phone line, but in this case we would want multiple people to be able to do so. As of right now only one person could do so. Many organization have been asking for the ability for multiple people to join in.

The conference line would not make sense in this situation because if someone calls a users direct line and the user wants the coworkers to listen in, they are not going to tell the caller to hang up so they can use the conference number.

This might not be the right forum to get this implemented, but people have been trying in the regular community board for years and it hasn't gotten anywhere, so it is worth the try.

1 comment
1 |3000

For this feature, it is exactly what I mentioned in my first answer. But right now, using the supervision API, you can only listen/monitor to an active call. We are working on the whisper part to enable a supervisor to talk to the supervised agent.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys