question

jaspreet-sidhu16118 avatar image
jaspreet-sidhu16118 asked Jesse McDonald answered

RingCentral Meetings crashing Mac OS X 10.14.4 During Screen-share

RingCentral Meetings continues to cause a kernel exception / fatal error within Mac OS 10.14.4. Currently on RC Meetings version 7.0.136380.0312 with the latest updates to Mojave installed.

Only during a screen share, at the most inopportune time (e.g. during a client call/presentation). my Mac will randomly go to full-CPU cycles, crash, and restart.

This occurs regardless of whether I'm the host or not. Since I'm dialing in usually from the office phone, I'm not disconnected from the audio portion of the meeting, but have to wait until my MacBook restarts in order to reconnect back to the conference bridge.

There is no error message, it just crashes & restarts. This only happens during a screenshare.

I'm on a specced out, 15" MBP Late-2018 with Radeon Vega 20 graphics.

I have two external 27" monitors and am sharing the screen on the 4K LG 27" connected through USB-C.

I've logged Case Number 08716592 to help resolve the issue.

meetings
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jaspreet-sidhu16118 avatar image
jaspreet-sidhu16118 answered
https://gist.github.com/jaspreetsidhu/ad422aaa03e85d99d15d3876a402008c 

I've included a link to the crash report in console post-restart.

Please let me know what other information I can provide to assist the community in helping resolve the issue.

Thanks,
-Jaspreet
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

dana-ballinger avatar image
dana-ballinger answered
I have exactly the same issue.  Hard reboot when video is used.  New 2019 Mac OS 10.14.6.  No external monitors.

Is there a resolution for this?

-Dana
1 |3000

jaspreet-sidhu1 avatar image
jaspreet-sidhu1 answered
Hey Dana, no.. there's no reply. In fact, all communication from RingCentral has gone dark and you have no idea how embarrassing it is in the middle of a presentation to have to dial back in.

Not only that, but the log files that are being created by RingCentral were taking up to 80 GBs of storage space and I lose the recording from the video.

As a consultant, this is damaging not only to my business, but my brand, and bottom line.

Anyway, I've asked my company to look into other technologies and to review our tech stack/agreement with RingCentral.

Perhaps you can log a case and reference this thread and my case as well? 08716592 
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered jimmy-meijon commented
Hey all, I looked into this issue and it's still being investigated by our Engineering/Product Team. I'm keeping an eye on the issue and whenever I receive an update, I'll be sure to post here.
1 comment
1 |3000

jimmy-meijon avatar image jimmy-meijon commented ·
The problem appeared when I enabled the "Join Now" with iCal.
I solved the issue by removing the permissions to Ring Central on the calendar, but I can't integrate with the calendar right now
0 Likes 0 ·
brandon-nokes15069 avatar image
brandon-nokes15069 answered Mike Beck commented
Hello,

We have a few computers in our office experiencing this same issue. Saadet, has there been any updates?  This is super frustrating when it happens regularly.  Please provide us with an update

2 comments
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Brandon, sorry for the frustration. Looks like there is no update on this issue as of now :/
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Beck avatar image Mike Beck commented ·
What if any resolution has there been to this problem? I have similar complaints. Ringcentral meetings is terribly buggy, I never have this problem with a Zoom meeting despite ringcentral claiming it's built on a zoom platform?
0 Likes 0 ·
joel-rabinovitch avatar image
joel-rabinovitch answered
I am having a similar problem when running RingCentral meetings on a Windows 7 machine using a AMD Radeon HD 7750 Graphics card using the latest AMD drivers.

The call will start fine, but eventually, the screen goes black. Sometimes, it will happen after a few minutes, other times after 20-30 minutes. Audio still manages to come through.  Most times, I need to restart the software to get back video.

There is no issue if I use other collaboration software such as Microsoft Teams.

Doing this on an core i7 machine with 8 gigs of RAM.
1 |3000

information-desk avatar image
information-desk answered
I am having the same problem with an older Mac OS X 10.13.6 This is not good for our work! Will have to change software/system soon if this is not resolved. I re-installed everything, too. This is taking up valuable time. 

1 |3000

karen1234567 avatar image
karen1234567 answered
HELP! Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and just recently (past 2-3 days) RingCentral will just freeze (phone audio stays connected) then often will lock up my entire laptop and I have to do a hard boot. 

When will this be resolved?
1 |3000

nick-perfetto13788 avatar image
nick-perfetto13788 answered Mike Beck commented
I've had several people in my company complain about this issue in the past 2 months. Any movement?
4 comments
1 |3000

karen1234567 avatar image karen1234567 commented ·
No specific fix that I am aware of, but it seems to be happening less
0 Likes 0 ·
I upgraded to OS 10.15 Catalina and that seems to help a lot. I have not had total freezes that required a reboot, but sometimes the video image will still freeze and i have to hit the "stop video" and "start video" twice to get the camera working again.
0 Likes 0 ·
karen1234567 avatar image karen1234567 commented ·
I have been debating about upgrading to Catalina. Have you had any issues with that OS and other applications?
0 Likes 0 ·
none at all, but I'm not really a heavy user of unusual software... the old standbys (MS Office suite etc.) seem to work just fine (and mine is a bit of an older iMac from 2015...)
0 Likes 0 ·
Jesse McDonald avatar image
Jesse McDonald answered

Hi all, not sure if others are still having this problem but I have a MacBook Pro with Catalina 10.15.7 and the app causes kernel panic shutdowns to the point where I only use the Ring Central app on my phone. Any movement on this that anyone is aware of?

Hi everyone, not sure if Ring Central has been able to determine anything since these posts. I am on Catalina 10.15.7 on Macbook Pro and the app definitely causes kernel panics on my machine to the point where I only use the Ring Central app on my iPhone to avoid all the crashes.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app