question

Kim Jonsson avatar image
Kim Jonsson asked Kim Jonsson commented

Smooth upgrade path from Ring Central Classic to New

Hello,

We been testing out the new Ring Central Client on a few computers mainly for the IT staff but are now keen on rolling it out to all our users as it is a much improved client and it installs into the program files HURRAY!

Now the problem we are facing is that the new ring central client does not remove the old classic client at all and there isn't an easy way to get the old client totally removed from the computers because of the to me very weird and annoying behaviour of installing it self in each users folder under c:\users\xxx

So even if you uninstall the old client 20.2.x it still exists in the users folder and will start automatically if set to that even after 20.3.x which means the users probably won't even notice they have the new improved client.

For me to get the old client removed I had to manually uninstal all the traces of the older client in add/remove programs manually delete the ring central classic folders everywhere as if i just removed it under my user profile it then automagically installed it self on the next logon.

So to try and stop this post from getting to long what I would like (need) is either for the new Ring Central client to remove ALL traces of the classic app in all users profiles as this was a big waste of space for communal machines. Or that there is a removal/clean-up tool made available that we can deploy on all the machines that had the old classic client installed.

As without a good clean-up I can see us having to stay with the Ring Central classic for our estate for a long time which is a big shame as the new client is a huge improvement and the fact it looks like the last version finally installs in c:\program files is great as it is now possible to add it to a GPO firewall exemption so users don't get firewall prompts after the client has been updated etc.

I don't think I'm the only one that are facing these issues or if someone has a way to be able to remove classic with out all these manual steps that would be great.

ringcentral app
8 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Kim Jonsson avatar image Kim Jonsson commented ·

Hi Sal,

Thanks for your answer but using Revo Uninstaller is not viable option for us.

Thankfully RC have been able to help me out with this by providing an uninstall script that will clear out the RC apps from the computer and I can then push out the new app(s) to the machine.

1 Like 1 ·
Angel Lozada avatar image Angel Lozada Kim Jonsson commented ·

Hi Kim, are you able to share what that uninstall script is?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kim Jonsson avatar image Kim Jonsson Angel Lozada commented ·

Hi Angel,

It is getting worked on by RingCentral a bit more but I believe this is so that it would be made available to a wider public so hopefully it will show up as a download to run on the official download site in the future.

0 Likes 0 ·

So there are no one that faces the same issues with getting the classic app uninstalled?

Are there any plans from Ring Central to provide an uninstall tool for classic or will it have to be up to us as users of the ring central app to find away to cleanly remove the classic app to stop the confusion that a lot of my users are facing now with having two ring central applications on their desktop.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for your answer unfortunately it is no use as the behaviour of the classic app means that it is still there when another user logs in and if it is removed under the specific user it then re-installs itself which is the biggest problem for us that the normal add/remove programs doesn't work.

0 Likes 0 ·
jenn-community-moderator avatar image jenn-community-moderator ♦ commented ·

Hello @Kim Jonsson, it would be better to open a case HERE, and our phone support will help us rectify the problem. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Sal Cusumano avatar image Sal Cusumano commented ·

I used an app called App Zapper for MAC which will do a clean uninstall. Then installed the newer version which worked as expected. Windows has similar uninstall programs such as Revo Uninstaller.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
jenn-community-moderator avatar image
jenn-community-moderator answered

Hello @Kim Jonsson, apologies! We don't have a tool for automatically removing the old app from your computers. However, I can give you the steps on how you can remove/delete an app.

For Windows, click HERE.

For Mac, click HERE.

Here's our newer version of our app, click HERE to download.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Kim Jonsson avatar image
Kim Jonsson answered

Hello Jenn,

I did raise a ticket a while back (11334523) which was closed with suggesting that I raise it in here as a feature request

"However, you are more than welcome to submit a feature request for something like this to put it on our Implementations team's radar. Sometimes, when a feature request gets enough traction, they actually make it into future updates of our product offerings. To do so, you can visit community.ringcentral.com and you can search to see if someone has already submitted a feature idea like yours. If they have, you can vote on it. If not, find "Share an Idea" at the top of the page and it will take you to our Community Ideas page."

So not really impressed with getting passed round in circles, I understand that the new app is totally new and different to the old app but I can't understand why a removal tool or not having the new installer remove the old app if installed is already available as it is now we have lots of users that are confused which Ring Central app to use as they know have to shortcuts on their desktop and if they had set the old (classic) to auto start they wouldn't even know that there was a new ring central app there to be used.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app