question

Jeremy Hodge avatar image
Jeremy Hodge asked Stu Perrett commented

Ability to Programmatically Edit RingCentral Phone Settings

It would be very useful for developers to have access to the settings within the RingCentral Phone application.

For example, I am working on an external application to open our customer's page in our ERP system and perform some other tasks. I would like to update the Execute command settings within Settings->Calls->Incoming->Launch an external app or a URL on incoming call as part of the installation package so I do not need to have the users enter it manually.

settings
4 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image Anirban commented ·

RC app is a standalone app so its quite difficult to control it from externally or programmatically without manually entering into it. But however, you can always put this idea here for suggesting RC team for future implementation. They can review and consider the idea and can update you back

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeremy Hodge avatar image Jeremy Hodge commented ·

I only want to be able to control the settings using an external app. Many programs store the settings in a file or registry so that a developer can manage the settings outside of the application. I search for both but was unable to find where the RC settings are stored.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

We only expose platform functionalities via APIs. The feature you mentioned above is the RingCentral softphone feature (local to the app) so it is not possible to interact with via API.

0 Likes 0 ·

I am not looking to interact with it via the API. Is there some file or something on the user's local machine that contains the settings for the RingCentral phone app?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Stu Perrett commented

Unfortunately, the app does not expose its settings/settings file for modifying that way.

4 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Can we add this as a feature request? It can be very useful.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Jeremy Hodge commented ·

I can discuss this internally. But I am not sure about the popularity of this use case.

0 Likes 0 ·
Josh Shofstahl avatar image Josh Shofstahl Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

For admins this is essential. I have over 200 users that I need to deploy the RingCentral app on. We either need a way to deploy a pre-configured install file, or the ability to run a script post install that will modify things, such as the default sound devices.

I installed 48 users in my last batch and the process of editing microphone and speaker source to the default communications device and the ringer to the default device has become mundane. One way we have handled tasks like this in the past is to push the app to the entire organization and follow it with a remote PowerShell to edit an .xml file, just for example.

2 Likes 2 ·
Show more comments

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys