question

Bruno Mackay avatar image
Bruno Mackay asked Phong Vu commented

Giving access to the app to other members of the company

Hi there,

We have built a small app to integrate into our system with RingCentral. The app is in Production Status: Active. But only the 2 developers have access to the app.

When we created the app, the permissions were set to 'Only members of my organization/company'.

How do we have the other team members access this app?

This app will allow the users to send/receive SMS from our portal as if they were using their mobile app on the phone.

But how do I give them access to the app?

I need to to get their 'accountId' and 'extensionId' so each one can use the app for their SMS. Been looking for this forever but can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks!

admin portal
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

All extensions (or as you wrote other members of the company) should be able to login your app with their own login credentials. You said that your app is in production then you said only 2 "developers" have access to the app? Do you try to login the production with some users under your sandbox account? Otherwise, who are those "developers"?

What is the grant type of your app, 3-legged authorization or password flow authentication?

And remember that each user who login the app can only send SMS from their own phone numbers.

The account id is the same for all extensions and the extension id of each member can be read using this API

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Bruno Mackay answered Phong Vu commented

Thanks so much for the reply!

The 'auth flow' for the app is password and refresh token.

As for sending the SMS, yes, that's exactly what we re looking for! For each user to send and receive sms via our platform using the RingCentral integration as if they were on their own phone.

When I created the app I only chose these 'permissions':

Read Messages, Read Presence, SMS, Webhook Subscriptions

I guess I have to recreate the app to include also 'ReadAccounts' then I should be able to see the extension Ids of everyone in the company?

That was my confusion. I could only test the app as myself (dev who created the app). If I can see all other extensions.

So, to confirm, these should be the 'permissions' I request when creating the app:

Read Messages, Read Presence, SMS, Webhook Subscriptions, ReadAccounts?

These should be enough to send/receive the sms and use the webhook to get a notification each time a message is created?

Thanks again.

1 comment
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

You can clone the existing app, add. new app permissions, test and graduate it again.

Even you add the ReadAccounts permission to the app so you can read all extensions info and get their id. You CANNOT use the extension id of another extension to send SMS from that extension's phone number. Read this article for explanation.

If you want all employees from your company to send SMS form your app, you have to create a new app with OAuth authorization so that each employee can login the app with their own login credentials.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bruno Mackay answered Phong Vu commented

Got it. Thank you.

One last question... When I go to the listExtentions api here, on this new app, because it's now in sanbox again, I only see myself.

But when the app graduates to production, when I call that same API I should be able to see all the users that have a ringcentral account in the organization?

The plan is to have the extensionId of all users along with their phone number and extensions, and have the app authenticate for each user (depending on who is logged in) so each person can send/receive sms via the platform, to their own phone number. We are not trying to have sms go out from another number other than the one that belongs to the person who is logged in.

Thanks.

1 comment
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

You can test such a use case on your sandbox by login your sandbox service web (https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com) and add more users with phone number to your account (up to 4 users with phone number).

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys