question

christine123 avatar image
christine123 asked mary-community-moderator commented

Silence Incoming Calls vs. Do Not Disturb (Mobile App)

I manage our internal knowledgebase for the office, and need to update the RingCentral guides.

I see that there are two ways in the mobile app to stop any incoming calls from ringing on the cell phone.

You can turn on "Silence Incoming Calls" or select "Do Not Disturb".

What is the difference between the two? Are there advantages of one over the other? I know users will ask, and I haven't found an answer on the RingCentral support site. Turning on DND is the easier option, but I just wanted to get a solid answer on what the differences/advantages are (if any).

Thanks.

ringcentral appphonepresence
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered

Hi Christine,

Here's the difference;

Do Not Disturb - All incoming calls will be sent to voicemails immediately without ringing.

Silence Incoming Calls - Callers will hear music or ringtone depending on the set number of rings before going to the voicemail but the user will not be notified of an incoming call.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

christine123 avatar image
christine123 answered mary-community-moderator commented

Thanks Mary.

I also discovered - the hard way - that turning on Do Not Disturb in the app, also affects the physical desk phone. This is the type of information that would be helpful to have in the knowledgebase.

One option affects just the app; whereas the other affects both the app and the desk phone.

1 comment
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @christine123, thanks for the suggestion. I will forward this to our KB Team.

1 Like 1 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app