question

Juan Zapata avatar image
Juan Zapata asked Andrew Prokop commented

Can i send a new message to a GLIP chat via API

Hello:

I am new at this.
I want to know if i can send a new message to a GLIP chat via API.
Thanks for you help.

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Andrew Prokop commented
4 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Juan Zapata avatar image Juan Zapata commented ·

Thank you very much for your response.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andrew Prokop avatar image Andrew Prokop commented ·

I have a question about this, @Phong Vu. What is the API call that I use to create a chat with someone when the conversation is not found with listGlipChats? I need an id for createGlipPost and don't see how to create a new one. Thanks.

Update: Is it Create/Open Conversation? I was looking in the chats and posts sections and nothing popped out at me.

0 Likes 0 ·
Yatin Gera avatar image Yatin Gera ♦♦ Andrew Prokop commented ·

Hi @Andrew Prokop
Your understanding is correct
You need to first create a conversation if it doesn't already exist using the create conversation api
https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Conversations/createGlipConversation
The API will return you the existing chatId if a conversation already exists with the given list of users and will not create a new chatId

You then need to use the chatId the above API returns to create a post using
https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Posts/createGlipPost

To add more context, the way glip works is that it considers every text communication as a "conversation" (unless it is a group)
What that means is that if you need to create an ad-hoc channel (not a group) where 2 or more people are involved, you need to have a "conversation" with a unique chatId

Hope this is helpful

1 Like 1 ·
Andrew Prokop avatar image Andrew Prokop Yatin Gera ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks! I hope to have this coded up before too long and will see for myself. :-)

2 Likes 2 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys