question

Jon Moubayed avatar image
Jon Moubayed asked Paul Rarey answered

RingCentral SCIM Create User assign local number from pool

Is there a way to assign a specific local number on the SCIM Create User API? We have a large pool of local numbers but want to assign specific area code ones to specific users.

rest api
2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Paul Rarey avatar image Paul Rarey commented ·

Hey @Jon Moubayed ,

We have yet to get a good answer on this topic. While SCIM can be used to Create a user record, assigning a specific PhoneNumber (DID) to a user/Extension - that's a problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jon Moubayed avatar image Jon Moubayed Paul Rarey commented ·

Is it possible to assign a number to an extension. If thats the case we could create an extension, assign a number to that extension, then create a user with that extension?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

This is just to confirm with you that it is not possible. I already reported and requested for this feature. Let me check with the PM to see where we are and will give you some update later.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Paul Rarey avatar image
Paul Rarey answered

Hey @Phong Vu & @Jon Moubayed,

We have and a few discussions & working session with an RC/Support SME on this topic.

Our developer demonstrated a couple different "Create User/Extension" scenarios.

Using SCIM ~/scim/v2/Users & Using ~/restapi/v1.0/account/{$accountid}/extension

The RC Support SME concluded:

• There is no customer visible API to assign an in-inventory Phn# to a user/Extension.

This was also stated in the meeting/workshop email summary:

"... I updated our internal JIRA to give you access to the Re-assign phone number API. ..."

"... It looks like the backend team needs to let you use these internal APIs by resetting a flag, until then you will keep running into the http 5XX error like yesterday. I will let you know as soon as our Engineer gets back to me with more info ..."

@Phong Vu - I can share the Support SME person & another RC person involved. I'm reluctant to drop them here. Paul.Rarey@roberthalf.com

1 |3000

Jon Moubayed avatar image
Jon Moubayed answered thanya c commented

@Paul Rarey Thank you for the response. If we have a phone number that already has an existing extension I wonder if we can create a user with that designated extension. I attempted it with the update multiple extension API but its in beta and it seems like its broken right now.

4 comments
1 |3000

Paul Rarey avatar image Paul Rarey commented ·

Hey @Jon Moubayed ,

A phoneNumber that is in inventory, assigned or not-assigned cannot currently be "assigned" to a newly created User/Extension via APIs (careful with terminology re: "Extension" vs. "ExtensionNumber").

The API set we are pending access to is "ReAssign phoneNumber". That ReAssign label can be confusing. It just means "assign $ThisPhoneNumber to $ThisUser/Extension".

The ReAssign context means the phoneNumber is "in inventory" vs. "buy that phoneNumber and assign to $"

0 Likes 0 ·
thanya c avatar image thanya c Paul Rarey commented ·

@Paul Rarey @Mary-Community_Moderator
Do RC support adding phoneNumber to a user from available pool through api. As the last answer is 1 year old, I just want to confirm wether there is any new changes in the api or not.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Rarey avatar image Paul Rarey thanya c commented ·

Hey @thanya c

I have not yet seen RC's SCIMv2 API able to provision a phn# from Inventory.

SCIM is not the right tool/API to determine which phn# in Inventory should be assigned. That would be a logicApp querying for phn#s with $criteria (e.g. country.areaCode.prefix).

Attached is my Get-rcInventory.ps1 Get-rcInventory.zip

You will notice the $endPoint has ~/restapi/v2/... which was not generally available when I crafted the PowerShell script. It may be now, though I don't see reference to it in RC's API Reference pages.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Paul Rarey avatar image
Paul Rarey answered

@thanya c

That API (https://platform.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/phone-number?$options) does not return usageType of Inventory nor NumberPool. Those are the same meaning (available/not-assigned) but two different labels (ugh...)

1667860528536.png

The API I use to get usageType=Inventory is
https://platform.ringcentral.com/restapi/v2/accounts/~/phone-numbers?usageType=Inventory

1667860528536.png (91.7 KiB)
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys