question

Chad Corey avatar image
Chad Corey asked Suyash Joshi answered

Promoting an app to production, Main Company Number

I'm not sure what I am missing here but I have promoted an application to production but no one seems to know how to get or reset the password for the main company number.

Is there a way to create a separate, super admin, account that can be used with production apps or how does someone go about getting or resetting the main company number account password?

Or am I just looking at the dev console all wrong? It seems to say I need to use that account and password to make it work in production.

rest api
1 |1500 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

When you test your app is in sandbox, you use the app sandbox credentials (app client id and secret) AND you authenticate the app using sandbox user login credentials (user name and password). Users of your sandbox are setup and can be access via https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com

When you graduate your app to the production and run the app, you use the app production credentials (app client id and secret) AND you authenticate the app using your production user login credentials (user name and password). Users of your production are setup and can be access via https://service.ringcentral.com.

Of course, you need to know a user name (email address or phone number) and its password. If you login with the main company number (both sandbox and production environments) you need to specify the extension number. E.g. username=MainCompanyNumber, extension=101, password=ThePasswordOfTheExt101. username=MainCompanyNumber, extension=103, password=ThePasswordOfTheExt103, etc.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Chad Corey avatar image
Chad Corey answered Phong Vu commented

these apps are not run by a person, they are automated things that do specific tasks behind the scenes. I understand I need a password...

How do you get/change the main one or how do I create some kind of service account that can be used and assigned for this app to use in production.

I don't care about sandbox now, I understand how sandbox works. I need to understand how to use it in production.

3 comments

Using in the production or sandbox is the same. The only difference is the app credentials and the user credentials must match for each environment.

And it does not matter if it run by a person or automate. It NEED a user login credentials and if the app is password flow, hardcode the username, extension number and password in your code. If it's a OAuth, then it must be authenticated by a person (user)

0 Likes 0 ·
Chad Corey avatar image Chad Corey Phong Vu ♦♦ ·

So you are saying that I can use any user account with the correct permissions even though the app screen says I have to use a specific account, which it calls "Main Company Number", which I can't modify.

0 Likes 0 ·

What is so difficult here? You use exactly same way as you use in your sandbox. Just the user credentials must be valid for a selected environment. And if using the main company number, you MUST use an extension number to identify which user is trying to login.

You asked "how to get or reset the password for the main company number." Ask your account IT or admin user how.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chad Corey avatar image
Chad Corey answered Phong Vu commented

I don't think we are understanding each other. The app screen has 2 columns, left is sandbox, right is production.

the production side shows an account to use for the app, which you cannot change.

Why does it show this if any random account with permissions could be used? If that is the case then the screen is extremely confusing for someone trying to promote their first application. there is zero indication that the app can use other credentials other than the one shown on the screen.

1 comment

Send me your number to phong.vu@ringcentral.com. Get on a call I can help you better.

0 Likes 0 ·
Suyash Joshi avatar image
Suyash Joshi answered

Chad, thanks for sharing the feedback. I'd like to know more about what's confusing as you're trying to use production credentials. If you reset your account password, that will reset your production password too, have you tried using that (password you use to login to dev portal/service web) and did it work ? Let us know if you are still stuck and need help resetting it.

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys