question

The Posse Foundation avatar image
The Posse Foundation asked The Posse Foundation commented

Does the RingCentral javascript SDK automatically refresh tokens?

We have a basic 3 legged OAuth web app that allows us to edit extensions, but we keep running into invalid refresh token & token not found errors, which have no explanation or documentation tied to them. I read from some other post that the SDK manages refreshing the tokens automatically, but I haven't seen any official documentation stating so. If the SDK doesn't automatically refresh, what is the best way to refresh them?

sdkoauth
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered The Posse Foundation commented

Yes, you can implement a loop to keep the access token valid, but you can use the refresh token to get a new access token if the access token expired. Thus, you don't really need to run an interval every 45 minutes. Calling this function will trigger the SDK to refresh the access token if it expired.

platform = rcsdk.platform()

if (await platform.loggedIn()){
 // call API   
}else{
  console.log("BOTH TOKEN TOKENS EXPIRED
}

For auto refresh, you should detect if there is no API call within 7 days (refresh token is valid for 7 days), call the refresh() method to get new tokens (both access and refresh token)

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

The Posse Foundation avatar image The Posse Foundation commented ·

That makes sense and seems like a better solution, thank you for the informative answer!

0 Likes 0 ·
The Posse Foundation avatar image
The Posse Foundation answered The Posse Foundation edited

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I made a basic solution for refreshing the tokens since they don't seem to refresh automatically. Using the @ringcentral/sdk package for Node.js.

const platform = client.platform()

setInterval(async () => {
    try {
        if(!platform.auth().refreshTokenValid()) {
            throw 'Refresh token not valid!'
        }

const res = await platform.refresh()
        const data = await res.json()

await platform.auth().setData(data)

const date = new Date()

console.log(`(${date.toLocaleString()}) Successfully generated new tokens.`)

return Promise.resolve()
    } catch (err) {
        console.trace(`Failed to refresh token: ${err}`)
        return Promise.reject(err)
    }
},1000 * 60 * 45) // Refresh every 45 minutes (Tokens expire every 60 minutes)
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys