question

Daniel Padilla avatar image
Daniel Padilla asked Daniel Padilla answered

Using API to Create Message Store Report

Hello,

I am trying to write a python script to download a voicemail from the developer account I created. Id gone through the API Reference and I found a page on how to do that here: https://developers.ringcentral.com/guide/messaging/message-store/message-exports-report#python

The first step is to create a message store report task and well that's where I'm stuck. I believe the issue is that I need a token to complete this first step because I'm available run the script that returns the list of messages from an extension mailbox found here but I can't generate the report.

I've found a doc that talks about how to get the token however I don't think it applies to the developer account: https://developers.ringcentral.com/engage/digital/guide

Have any of you gotten a token for your scripts? Where do you find it and is it available for the developer account?

If it helps, I'm providing the output I get when I run the message store report script.

screen-shot-2021-12-15-at-80429-pm.png

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Since your code fails at authentication and the error was "unauthorized for this grant type", I guessed that your app platform type is not password flow type. The sample code in the message store export is using username and password to authenticate. So login your developer portal and open your app settings to check the platform type. If it's not Server only/ No UI type, then create a new app with that type and retry. Remember also, in order to export the message store, you need to authenticate the app with a user with the super admin role.

For your other observation, there is nothing to do with the Engage Digital so it should not be related. You can also search for "unauthorized for this grant type" from the community to see previously questions and answers.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Daniel Padilla answered

Hi Phong,

This is the setting I have set for the app:

screen-shot-2021-12-16-at-112402-pm.png

I've also tried the 3-legged option as well with the "Server-side web app" option selected but I get an Error HTTP 400.

screen-shot-2021-12-16-at-114740-pm.png

This is my code for reference:

from ringcentral import SDK
import json

with open('rc-credentials.json') as data_file:
    data = json.load(data_file)

CLIENTID = data['RINGCENTRAL_CLIENTID']
CLIENTSECRET =  data['RINGCENTRAL_CLIENTSECRET']
SERVERURL = data['RINGCENTRAL_SERVER']
RCUSERNAME = data['RINGCENTRAL_USERNAME']
RCEXTENSION = data['RINGCENTRAL_EXTENSION']
RCPASSWORD = data['RINGCENTRAL_PASSWORD']

rcsdk = SDK(CLIENTID, CLIENTSECRET, SERVERURL)
platform = rcsdk.platform()
platform.login(RCUSERNAME, RCEXTENSION, RCPASSWORD)
response = platform.post(f'/restapi/v1.0/account/705444005/message-store-report', {
        'dateFrom': '2021-12-01',
        'dateTo': '2021-12-30',
        'messageType': ['VoiceMail']
    })

1 |3000

Daniel Padilla answered

Hello,

I've found the issue! The dateTo/From had to be in this format:

2019-07-31T20:01:58Z

I get a successful call to the API now. Thank you!

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys