question

Carl Schmitt avatar image
Carl Schmitt asked Phong Vu commented

Ring Out doesn't play well with the RingCentral App

My RingCentral phone account has both an extension and a direct phone number.

I use the RingCentral app.

I do not have a hard phone.

I am using RingCentral SDK for PHP.

Issue:

When I set the "from" phoneNumber to my direct phone number, I get

Status: {"callStatus":"Error","callerStatus":"GenericError","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Done.

If I install and have the RC Phone Desktop App open, it will succeed.

If I close the RC Phone Desktop App, I either get the GenericError again OR

Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"Invalid","callerStatus":"Invalid","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Done.

NOTE: the RingCentral App has been open the entire time. The error or success appears to be tied directly to the RC Phone App

Confusing [to me anyway] Solution:

If I set the from phoneNumber to the main phone number & my extension (EX: +15555555555x123), it will succeed.

Is this expected behavior? Should I be using the main phone number & my extension for the from phone numbers instead of direct lines?

I don't want the RC Phone Desktop App to be installed.

Problem 2 (can only test with the RC Phone Desktop App due to the direct line issue above):

RingOut doesn't know about statuses if I dial the main line & extension.

If I install and keep the RC Phone App open, set the from phone number to my direct phone number, and change the RC Phone App Statuses, I will get:

Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"CannotReach","callerStatus":"Busy","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Done.

when set to "Busy" and I ignore the call

Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"CannotReach","callerStatus":"Busy","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Done.

when set to "Do not disturb"

The trouble is that if I set the status to "Do not disturb" in the RC Phone App and dial the main phone number & my extension, (I also tried setting the RingCentral App to "Do not disturb" at the same time - didn't help) It goes to voicemail instead of returning a "CannotReach" status.

Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"InProgress","callerStatus":"InProgress","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Status: {"callStatus":"Success","callerStatus":"Finished","calleeStatus":"InProgress"} Done.

ringout
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Would you mind to submit a support ticket with the same content in this thread so the dev support team would handle this issue better.

Thank you for your cooperation!

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Carl Schmitt avatar image
Carl Schmitt answered Phong Vu commented

I have submitted the ticket.

Thank you.

10 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks! I also tested it myself and found that this does not work. So I will also provide my inputs to the team.

0 Likes 0 ·
Carl Schmitt avatar image Carl Schmitt Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

The response to my ticket demonstrated that they did not read / understand / or try to reproduce the problems I was having. They told me how to deauthorize a computer from the RC Phone App. I did that however the problems still remain. Unfortunately, your system doesn't allow me to reopen the ticket.

Proof: Same Error.

1646427857664.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1646427857664.png (17.6 KiB)
Carl Schmitt avatar image Carl Schmitt Carl Schmitt commented ·

"log back in to the RC phone app and refresh, you should see your device online with the green check " That is the point of this problem. I don't want to install the RC Phone App.

Are you able to have the ticket reopened and reviewed?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Phong Vu commented

For the problem 2 you reported above, I think that it is by design that when an incoming is set to forward to voicemail, DnD will follow the setting rule to forward the call to voicemail. Thus, call status will not be reported with the CannotReach status.

4 comments
1 |3000

Carl Schmitt avatar image Carl Schmitt commented ·

Is there a way to get the user's status in the RingCentral app via API so I would know whether or not they would receive the call or go to voicemail when using main number + extension?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Carl Schmitt commented ·

You can poll or subscribe for the user presence status to detect user status. But it does not mean that you can detect if a call is directed to a voicemail or not. That depends on the call handling settings for an extension. I guess that you can read the settings using this API.

screen-shot-2022-03-08-at-80717-am.png

1 Like 1 ·
Carl Schmitt avatar image Carl Schmitt commented ·

For the direct line question - any idea when that might make to to the RingCentral App?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Carl Schmitt commented ·

I don't have any update on this yet. I am trying to find responsible persons to talk to but I heard from a colleague that they are aware of this and working on it. Will give you update once I hear back from them.

1 Like 1 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys