question

ashok-gupta9957 avatar image
ashok-gupta9957 asked Tyler Liu commented

What do I do if my rate limit is exceeded?

Hi,

I am facing the issue of the rate limit being exceeded.

Actually, I have created an application which is already on production. all function was going perfectly but i was looking for minor issue in our application and i was checking data from RingCentral API Explore after that RingCentral gives rate limit exceed error for 9th number extension id only. (my application check data for 10 extension)

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

paco-vu avatar image
paco-vu answered
Hi Ashok,

Can you provide more specific info about which API you call and how often do you call the API.

+ Phong
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

ashok-gupta9957 answered Tyler Liu commented
my console apps get sms, voicemail and missed call events and push it on velocify. we are using 15 extensions for getting events. and our console apps run on the interval of 5 minute, and in this 5 minute it fetch sms, voicemail and missed call events and check latest record during last 5 minute if any record found then it push into velocify. this process run for all 15 extensions.
and app was working properly but when i was looking for manual checking sms voicemail and missed call events from API Explore then it give us rate limit exceed.
and from last 40 hrs we are getting rate limit exceed error for 9th number extension only. and after that for 10th extension it running properly. i replace 8th number extension with 9th extension also it gives error for 9th extension...

please suggest me how can i resolve this issue ?
1 comment
1 |3000

Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·

The simplest solution is to slow down RC API invoking. For example, sleep 5 seconds after each RC AP call. Or you can request a rate limit increase by submitting a help ticket.

0 Likes 0 ·
ashok-gupta9957 answered
please tell me how to resolve this issue?
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Rate limit is per API and grouped into 4 levels "Heavy", "Medium", "Light" and "Auth" (see reference). Still, you did not tell me the exact API. So I guess that you use the message-store API which has the Light rate which is 50 requests/min. Based on the rate and your usage, you can implement a scheduler and timer to cause some delay for making sure you are not exceeding the limit. Or, alternatively, you can submit a help ticket to ask for increasing the limit based on your business justification.

+ Phong

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys