question

Jeff Schelinski avatar image
Jeff Schelinski asked John A Holzmann commented

Is there the ability to register for person to person SMS communication only?

As others have noted, we only communicate via SMS with clients of our business. The registration from doesn't allow for basic SMS texting. But yet we are to provide opt-in and opt-out words and sample communications. How can you say you will follow the requirements when the requirements to match the business practice?

sms and text messaging
14 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

GARRETT HAINES avatar image GARRETT HAINES commented ·

Ring Central WILL lose clients over this. There are simply too many businesses that do not use SMS other than to reply to an SMS initiated by the customer.

Since the regulation is vague (it is my opinion) that Ring Central's Legal Department DGAF, and will not risk massive Federal Penalties for Ring Central (which, to be fair, is Legal's job).

We see similar instances across industries where a company's Legal Department interprets the rules as conservatively as possible. For example, one online music retailer has lost 1/3rd of their customers after changing policies to treat individual sellers of used gear as if they were full-fledged LLCs, Corps, or LTDs. The law does not require that, but legal decreed it was too difficult to separate individuals vs companies (despite having EINs vs SSNs as a bright-line separator).

I applaud the government trying to quash SMS SPAM, but they throw out the baby with the bath water.

2 Likes 2 ·
Dan Elkins avatar image Dan Elkins commented ·

We're in the same situation, but we communicate only with our employees via Ring, no coordinated SMS campaign reaching out to Customers.

1 Like 1 ·
Joanna Song avatar image Joanna Song commented ·

I have the same issue. We filled out the TCR form already. Already registered but all the options in the campaign section are not applicable at all. (we also use sms internally) How would I go about filling it out? (The consent section does not apply at all)

1 Like 1 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Joanna Song commented ·

@Joanna Song I'm looking into this more closely.
Give me some time to get an answer.

1 Like 1 ·
Joanna Song avatar image Joanna Song Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Becky, any updates? We ended up completing the campaign section. Its been almost 2 weeks but its still pending

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Jeff Schelinski avatar image Jeff Schelinski commented ·

I don't think carriers thought this through. There should have been an option to attest to the fact that a user doesn't use SMS for marketing purposes, automated communications for appointments or reminders. And an option to indicate it on the application. If a user gets "caught" using it incorrectly then that can be addressed by the provider and carrier.

1 Like 1 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Jeff Schelinski commented ·

Ha! Believe me, @Jeff Schelinski I wish Carriers would have given it a bit of reflection too. But we're trying to roll with the punches here.
Let me know if we can help with next steps if you need us.
Shoot an email at Community.Support@RingCentral.com

0 Likes 0 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

I understand it's frustrating, but this is the practice industry-wide and we are working to be in compliance with the expectations for the carriers.
Did you fill out the TCR form yet?
If not, I would encourage you to go through the motions to ensure you do not lose this feature as we approach the March 31st deadline.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

Becky-Community_Manager avatar image
Becky-Community_Manager answered John A Holzmann commented

Tim, "campaign" is the way that TCR describes it, but it's actually your use case - which sounds like it is conversational.

This information might help, but feel free to share additional questions here:

Implied Consent (Conversational Messaging Content)

• First message is only sent by a Consumer
  • Consumer initiates the conversation and the business simply responds.
  • Does NOT provide consent for informational, promotional, or future messaging unless recipient provides consent during conversation

Express Consent (Informational Messaging Content)

• Consumer needs to agree to receive texts for a specific purpose when they give the business their mobile numbers
  • Consent must be specific for SMS, general language including “opt into communications” is not considered sufficient (instead say “opt into receiving SMS)
  • Does NOT provide consent to be notified of promotional messages unless recipient provides consent to be added to the marketing list.

Express Written, and Logged Consent (Promotional Messaging Content)

• Consumer needs to agree to receive texts for a specific purpose when they give the business their mobile numbers
  • Consent must be specific for SMS, general language including “opt into communications” is not considered sufficient (instead say “opt into receiving SMS)
  • Businesses that already ask Consumers to sign forms or submit contact information can add a field to capture the Consumer’s consent
  • Consent must be logged as outlined below

Message Senders Should Provide Clear and Conspicuous Calls-to-Action

Purpose: Disclosure to ensure that a consumer consents to receive a message and understands the nature of the program

• Invitation to opt-in to a messaging campaign
  • Calls-to-Action should not contain any deceptive language
  • Calls-to-Action should not be obscured in terms and conditions
  • Example of calls-to-action:
    • The program or product description
    • Telephone numbers or short codes from where the message will originate

Ways to Collect Opt-in

Purpose: Help prevent messages from being sent to a phone number that does not belong to the Consumer who provided that phone number (e.g., a Consumer purposefully or mistakenly provides an incorrect phone number to the Message Sender)

For conversational messages:

• Recipient sends you a message first

For informational messages (and conversational):

• Verbally asking recipient if they would like to receive messages
  • Clicking a button on a mobile webpage

For promotional messages (and above):

• Entering a telephone number through a website
  • Turning on SMS notifications via a website preferences panel
  • Responding to an ask, or asking to be sent SMS via email
  • Sending a message from the Consumer’s mobile device that contains an advertising keyword
  • Signing up at a point-of-sale (POS) or other Message Sender on-site location
  • Opting-in over the phone using interactive voice response (IVR) technology

Logging Consent:

Purpose: to provide clear evidence that a recipient has opted in to messaging, critical for promotional messages. Carriers may request this information to be provided randomly.

Message Senders should also document opt-in consent by retaining the following data where applicable:

• Timestamp of consent acquisition
  • Consent acquisition medium (e.g., cell-submit form, physical sign-up form, SMS keyword, etc.)
  • Capture of experience (e.g., language and action) used to secure consent
  • Specific campaign for which the opt-in was provided
  • IP address used to grant consent
  • Consumer phone number for which consent to receive messaging was granted
  • Identity of the individual who consented (name of the individual or other identifier (e.g., online user name, session ID, etc.)).
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Craig O'Neill avatar image Craig O'Neill commented ·

It's a garbage hand that is being dealt to any SaaS provider involved in texting.
RC is not alone, but while I understand they have to deal with this, they by no means are they early to this issue. They are woefully late. The first deadlines were actually in Nov/Dec. The deadlines keep getting pushed back and are just now coming to a head.

A few facts* that have surfaced:

*The facts are changing all the time on A2P 10DLC registrations. Anyone that knows anything is probably out of date by next week.

Most alarmingly - There is (too) quiet concern regarding the ownership of TCR. (China) https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/KALEYRA-INC-54264487/news/TCR-Acquisition-LLC-Makes-Formal-Offer-to-Acquire-100-of-The-Campaign-Registry-from-Kaleyra-Inc-40963336/

I tried writing my congressman on this... but they are busy with nonsensical issues that don't impact real people or business.

More so: Two major US carriers are driving this harder than anyone - T-Mobile and AT&T.
Don't like this? Tell them. (This isn't RC's fault)

The threat of $10 fines (T-Mobile) per unregistered message is understandably enough to make Ring Central justified in stopping unregistered traffic. To not, would mean unsustainable risk in a non-neutral playing field.

We can all agree - the threat of fines and filtering on legitimate businesses hardly feels like a solution to prevent bad players from playing badly. It only punishes the good guys and does nothing to solve Spam issues.

In the end - I know nothing. All I really see is this.

- Businesses need to pay more to text.
- We have no choice but to send our data to (TCR) which has ties to the Peoples' Republic of China, while.... (and this is key)

- Carriers make more money to 'keep people safe' from spam.

I'm not a fan of how RC is managing this. But I can tell you confidently RC makes no money on this. It is only headache, heartache, pain and stress. I'm sympathetic for anyone that works in this space and is caught in the middle between angry clients that don't know and carriers that don't care.

Meanwhile... the FCC lags, and our US representatives argue about whether or not to ban TikTok... We're doomed... aren't we? ;)

Cheers.

1 Like 1 ·
GARRETT HAINES avatar image GARRETT HAINES commented ·

so if you only respond to texts and NEVER do outbound campaigns, do we need to register or what does this mean? Thank you in advance.

0 Likes 0 ·
Craig O'Neill avatar image Craig O'Neill GARRETT HAINES commented ·

My understanding which may be outdated is that any A2P(Application to Person) 10DLC (Ten Digit Long Code) number will need to be registered.

I get that 'responding only' seems like an exception, but that isn't exactly fleshed out by the parties that are driving A2P 10DLC regulations.

Unregistered traffic - period - will likely wind up on "grey routes."
That subjects each message to fines or filtering.

I'm willing to bet the process of rebuking fees/fines is not fleshed out and will result in RC getting slammed, and eventually, RC will have little choice but to shut off unregistered traffic (as they indicate with the banner) or pass on fees to their clients... which would end in disbelief, anger, and extreme sadness.

Check this out: https://support.twilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/4410588996123-U-S-Carrier-Penalties-for-Non-Compliant-Messaging (these articles are often out of date nearly as soon as they are posted - so ignore the dates cited)

Twilio is a Direct Connect Aggregator. There are others, but I believe this is who RC uses. Twilio is caught in the middle just like everyone else. They are the ones that would be fined, and they pass the fines/fees on to their client (assuming that ins RC in this case) RC would have to pass them on to their clients.

Texting isn't easy folks.
Someday, something better will come along, but this is the system we have.

1 Like 1 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ GARRETT HAINES commented ·

@GARRETT HAINES

Existing numbers likely will still be able to receive SMS but there is a risk inbound sms could also be disabled.

For new numbers (after Dec 1) no SMS cannot be enabled at all because we can’t only turn on inbound capabilities.

So existing numbers will likely still be able to receive but will not be able to send. New numbers will not be able to do either.

0 Likes 0 ·
John A Holzmann avatar image John A Holzmann Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, Becky.

I'm a new (just over a month old). This conversation is relevant to my situation. Any updates? Or is the current situation that "existing numbers[, as of March 31, 2023, are] able to receive texts but [cannot] send. New numbers[, like mine, are un]able to do either"?

If this is the case, it would be helpful to state the fact somewhere prominently on the site so people like me don't waste our time trying to get SMS/texting set up: "You will be unsuccessful."

(I just finished a second-round attempt to turn on incoming-only SMS/texting with the HOPE that I might be able to respond to those who initiate texts with me. This thread seems to tell me I'm on a fool's errand.)

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app