question

MediaBR Technologies avatar image
MediaBR Technologies asked Becky-Community_Manager commented

No marketing SMS

We do not use SMS for marketing. We only use SMS for regular daily client conversation. Do we need to signup and pay for campaign ?

sms and text messaging
15 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Larry Boyd avatar image Larry Boyd commented ·

We have the same question.

0 Likes 0 ·
Christopher Brady avatar image Christopher Brady commented ·

According to RingCentral's FAQ. yes.

RingCentral's requirements seem to be more stringent than their competitors in this regard. RingCentral is the only vendor I've seen that requires TCR campaign registration for conversational SMS.

0 Likes 0 ·
Vevera Family avatar image Vevera Family Christopher Brady commented ·

I read on their site that eventually all companies that utilize text/emails will have to have their clients register too.

0 Likes 0 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Vevera Family commented ·

@Vevera Family On who's site?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Mike Stowe avatar image Mike Stowe ♦♦ Christopher Brady commented ·

To clarify, because this is an industry-wide change being driven by US mobile carriers, providers must have their customers register their SMS usage (even conversational) or their messages are at risk of being blocked by the carriers.

TCR, which is the entity that handles these registrations on behalf of the carriers has "campaign" types specific to conversational messaging (both low volume and standard) which are also provided to customers via the RingCentral Admin Portal.

You can see a partial list that contains over 100 providers working with TCR on their website at https://www.campaignregistry.com/. Many other providers have also posted TCR registration requirements on their websites (including for conversational purposes) which can be found by searching the provider name with "TCR" or "10DLC A2P."

(note TCR is not required for Canadian customers who are not sending SMS to US numbers)

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Lindberg avatar image Paul Lindberg commented ·

Just got off the phone with support and they said we need to fill out a campaign even though we do not use it for marketing. They also said that I was the only person with this concern. LOL

So far they have charged me $4.30 to register and $17.27 to fill out a campaign that I will never do. Any luck on getting a straight answer for this? In the mean time will be looking for another carrier.

0 Likes 0 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Paul Lindberg commented ·

@Paul Lindberg If you use business SMS, no matter your use case, you must register.
It is an industry-wide shift and no matter the carrier, you will have the same requirements.
I want to clarify "campaign" in this instance means use case - how your business uses SMS.
I wish that TCR would have given it a different nomenclature, but we're working with what they provide.
Happy to assist you with any further questions.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pinnacle Sothebys International Realty avatar image Pinnacle Sothebys International Realty Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

I spoke with a different carrier and they told me that since you (RingCentral) are a publicly owned company this is the reason for the registration. They were a private company and do not have to do it. I asked if they were aware of this new change which responded with yes, but didnt offer any further knowledge just that they didn't have to do it. Are you aware if there is a difference in public/private companies having to do this?

2 Likes 2 ·
Show more comments

0 Answers

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app