question

GRACE HOUSE COUNSELING CENTER avatar image
GRACE HOUSE COUNSELING CENTER asked Becky-Community_Manager commented

Should I disable sms?

Our business only receives texts (mostly for account verification codes, not even to talk with clients). We are thinking about just disabling SMS, instead of worrying about TCR registration, since we don't feel our business is applicable. If we do register a campaign, I am worried about getting a fine for "failure to use campaign" which is a fine of $250 for not sending SMS to any T-mobile customers in a 60-day period, which we would definitely not make. Am I even reading the TCR registration fee FAQ correctly? If our SMS capabilities are disabled, would we still be able to receive these texts as emails?

sms and text messaging
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

@GRACE HOUSE COUNSELING CENTER You are reading it right.
T-Mobile has stated that they can at their discretion fine you $250 for every 60 day period that you have an active campaign but no SMS are sent from that campaign.
To avoid the fine you need to send at least one message from one number in the campaign to a T-Mobile number every 59 days.

It's at their discretion, but I can understand why that might be discouraging.

As far as receiving texts without TCR, it’s actually a complex answer. Existing numbers likely will still be able to receive SMS but there is a risk inbound sms could also be disabled.

For new numbers (after Dec 1) no SMS cannot be enabled at all because we can’t only turn on inbound capabilities.

So existing numbers will likely still be able to receive but will not be able to send. New numbers will not be able to do either.

Hope this helps!
Let me know if I can share anything further.

0 Likes 0 ·

0 Answers

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app