question

russ-boyd14089 avatar image
russ-boyd14089 asked Barney Stone answered

Sending SMS from excel VBA

I am trying to create VBA code in excel send an SMS text to a short list of customers.

I have the following code and I can use a GET function and received responses from the API but when I try to POST an SMS I get an Error 400 Bad Request.  Not sure if my formatting is wrong or what?  I would also appreciate input on better VBA code to obtain authorization.  I am currently copying the active authorization code from my Sandbox which is only temporary.

Ultimately I want to execute this in a loop and post the send/read status to a cell in my spreadsheet by the number texted

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sub cmdOAuth2_Click()

Dim webServiceURL As String
  Dim actionType As String
  Dim targetWord As String
  Dim actionType2 As String
  Dim targetWord2 As String
  Dim sMsg As String
  Dim sToPhone As String
  Dim sFromPHone As String

webServiceURL = " https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/~/sms";
  actionType = "Accept"
  targetWord = "application/json"
  actionType2 = "Authorization"
  targetWord2 = "Bearer Code copied from sandbox (Is there a better way to obtain auth within the VBA code"
  sMsg = "test from excel"
  sToPhone = "+17313632593"
  sFromPHone = "+12055178260"

' use late binding
  With CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
    .Open "POST", webServiceURL, False
    .SetRequestHeader actionType, targetWord
    .SetRequestHeader actionType2, targetWord2
.Send _
"{" & _
        """from"": [{""phoneNumber"": ""+12055178260""}]," & _
        """to"": {""phoneNumber"": """ & sToPhone & """}," & _
        """text"": """ & sMsg & """" & _
        "}"

If .Status = 200 Then
      Debug.Print .responseText
      MsgBox .GetAllResponseHeaders
    Else
      MsgBox .Status & ": " & .StatusText
    End If
  End With

End Sub

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Barney Stone avatar image
Barney Stone answered

Beautiful! Many thanks for a fast and helpful response.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Barney Stone avatar image
Barney Stone answered

OK, back to this project. I can now send and receive SMS messages using my VBA code. That's working great. Next, how can I download a file (typically an image) that was attached to an incoming SMS message? I can see information about the attachment in the response when I download the message, including the uri, file type, etc. What do I have to do to download that file? Thanks in advance for any help!

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys