question

douglas-lowe15004 avatar image
douglas-lowe15004 asked Cote_Business Systems commented

App to call an extension, play a message & hang up.

I'm very new to the developers site & the APIs but pretty experienced with .NET & C#. I'm looking to build either an ASP.NET or Winforms app that will call an extension, play a canned message from an audio file, and hang up.

The specific application is to enable a set of emergency pages on our overhead paging system. We had initially implemented the paging system using a Cyberdata Paging Adapter and a RingCentral paging group, but there's no way to stop the obnoxiously loud BEEP! that RingCentral interjects. So I scrapped the Paging group and did it as a simple extension. The Cyberdata can play pre-loaded messages upon DTMF keypresses, but there's no way to do that without having to also press 0 to simply page. The operators page dozens of times a day, but may someday need to do an "Evacuate the building page."

So I'd like to provide something with a few buttons they could click to play selected pre-recorded messages. Thus in code I'd like to call the paging extension, wait for it to answer, play a .wav or other audio file, then hang up.

Any suggestions on how to approach this? Or has it already been done? I'd appreciate any advise...

Thanks!

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

douglas-lowe15004 avatar image
douglas-lowe15004 answered Cote_Business Systems commented
I just thought of a way that this might be done easily, by setting up an announcement extension, and then using ringout where the from is the announcement extension and the to is the paging system. 
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Cote_Business Systems avatar image Cote_Business Systems commented ·

Hey Douglas did you get this working? I am looking at setting up a similar function for our receptionists to select an option in our app that will phone specific employees and play a message to them.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys