question

Zee Bee avatar image
Zee Bee asked Franklin Jackson sent

Call Handling: How to tell which number the caller dialed?

Is there a way to tell what number an incoming call dialed?

For example, if some one dials our -8155 number but its set to forward to two other numbers simultaneously, is there a way to tell that the incoming call was dialed to -8155 and not the other two?
call handling
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mike avatar image mike commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image
J.B. Ferguson answered
Log into your account as an administrator. Click on "Call Log" then select "View: Detailed". This will show you the incoming number, the number they called and which extension it went to.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Chuck Fuscone avatar image
Chuck Fuscone answered andrew-worth commented
Jan, is correct you could look at the call logs but another approach is to adjust the inbound caller ID information on the extensions to select the Called number instead of Caller ID.  This will pass the information to the phone so you know what number the caller dialed.

This is under call handling for each extension

Let us know if this works for you

Thanks

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
5 comments
1 |3000

J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
Katina,

For each extension (User) assigned to an incoming line, go to Call Handling & Forwarding, then in that section click on the Incoming Call Information selection (near the bottom). Finally while in that dialog check the checkbox which says, Include mailbox name in announcement .

When you answer the call you will receive the name of the extension they called (i.e., Sales, Support, etc.). The announcement mention is the announcement YOU (not your incoming caller) will hear. Then you will know how to answer the call ("Thank you for calling the Sales Department", or "You have reached Support...How can I assist you?", etc.)

1 Like 1 ·
katina-goshtasby avatar image katina-goshtasby commented ·
But is there a way to have that only apply to the mobile app and not across all devices?  When I'm working from home off my cell I need to know which line a customer is dialing in on, but my office mate using the Polycomm phone needs to know who the caller is/caller id.  please help

0 Likes 0 ·
I forgot to add the fact that this will go across all devices. So even though your office mate will see the Caller ID, he/she will also hear which extension the call is coming in on.
0 Likes 0 ·
andrew-worth avatar image andrew-worth commented ·
It is a shame that a) this is a choice between Caller ID OR Called number - why not both? When using Call Queues both Queue Name called and Caller ID/Name are available. And b) each line (phone number) can have a Name, so why can't the name be displayed as an alternative to the number.
0 Likes 0 ·
andrew-worth avatar image andrew-worth commented ·
And BTW, looking at logs is not the answer, we need to know as we answer the call so we know what greeting to give.
0 Likes 0 ·
Jackson Mills avatar image
Jackson Mills answered
I have the same question... I can see that it was called to my extension after following the above "detailed" instructions but I am unable to see what number the CALLER called.  I see my contact and their number but I am unable to see which one of my 6 lines they dialed... Not a big deal but helpful for call backs so its consistent.  Please point me towards where to find this info :) thanks you guys!!!
1 |3000

ringcentral35 avatar image
ringcentral35 answered
You can find this info at the Call Log section of the RC Portal...
1 |3000

pauline-pettinato1807 avatar image
pauline-pettinato1807 answered mike Deactivated commented
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled when adding 2nd lines it would be good to see the line the caller is dialing.. ca.... Adding multiple lines on phones is not helpful when you can't see what line the caller is dialing..
We don't always want to log online to check the call log.. it would be good to see it from the phone.
Can this feature be included soon.
1 comment
1 |3000

mike avatar image mike commented ·
See comments from RC-Installer above.   Reply here if you still have questions. 

Mike 
0 Likes 0 ·
camero3369 avatar image
camero3369 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Calls received from a cellphone doesn't show the number that was being dialed. I was advised that it is a feature request. Incoming call info: support "Called number" CLID for mobile endpoints is not working. Will this be available in the upcoming releases?
1 comment
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hello CAMERO,

If I receive a phone call from a cellphone, the number the cellphone dialed shows up in my call log:

In this example, the number in the green box is from the cellphone and my work number is in the blue box. Are you referring to something different?
0 Likes 0 ·
caitlyn8107 avatar image
caitlyn8107 answered saadetswift16514 commented
With the new Call Log display, I am no longer seeing the extension number. Is there a way to see this information from the Admin Portal?

8 comments
1 |3000

When opening the call log there are two viewing options, Simple and Detailed (it defaults to Simple). If you click on Detailed, it will show the information you are looking for. That information has always been available within the call log.
1 Like 1 ·
caitlyn8107 avatar image caitlyn8107 commented ·
Thank you!

1 Like 1 ·
chris-duquette4018 avatar image chris-duquette4018 commented ·
bingo
0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hmmm....This is what I'm seeing on a Detailed view of my Call Log. Is this what you're seeing?

0 Likes 0 ·
caitlyn8107 avatar image caitlyn8107 commented ·
When I click on detailed view, and click the down arrow next to the call - I only see the ring-to number the call was forwarded to - not the ext# being called. When one ring-to number answers for multiple extensions, I don't know what extension number the caller was trying to reach.

For instance, when I have a number of extensions forwarding to one ring-to number, the extension information is no longer being displayed, although it was on the prior version of the call log that I still have on some of my RC accounts.

The older version shows From, TO, EXT#, and FORWARDED TO.

The newer version only shows INCOMING FROM, OUT GOING TO, FORWARD TO.
The FORWARD TO is only the ring-to number, not the ext# that was entered by the caller.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Scott Treggiari avatar image
Scott Treggiari answered Franklin Jackson sent

I think people are missing the point of the question. It's not How do I look up three days later who is calling me. It's specifically about the incoming call dialed at the time the call is dialed. We have the same set up. A number is set to forward to another number. But, from the incoming call screen that shows up when it's ringing, there is no way to n=know which number they dialed. The importance of the call is strongly indicated by which number they dialed.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app