question

Brian Seekon avatar image
Brian Seekon asked ·

I prefer the old Legacy softphone, over the new Desktop for Windows/MAC softphone.

I have been unable to figure out how to populate the cover page of an outgoing fax to a recipient that is not in my contact list.  It was quite easy to do with the old softphone app.

What am I missing here?

As you can probably guess, I hardly ever send any faxes.  This is the first time that I have attempted to send a fax using the "upgraded" softphone app.  Is there a screen that pops-up prior to actually sending the fax, where you can add the recipients information? This is for business, so I am afraid to get that far, and accidentally send out a fax with missing info on the cover page.

I would SERIOUSLY like to go back to the old softphone...

topic-default
7 comments
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Joe- what error message do you get when you view the cover page? Is it possible for you post a screenshot of the error? 

Also, go into your account online and go to Phones & Numbers > select softphone > and De-authorize the Computer...once you've done this please logout and logback in with the DL (not main number + ext).  
0 Likes 0 · ·
Here you go. I did send feedback. No response. and I spoke to Wazel in your tech support. No help there either.

0 Likes 0 · ·
Joe- i send you an email to do a screenshare b/c I cannot duplicate this error message on my end. Please check your email and we'll see if we can resolve that issue together. This issue doesn't seem to be directly related to the new update, because it's not duplicated on any machine here.  I can help you try to find a solution for this...

All feedback get's funneled into one place and they review them to make necessary changes, update, fixes...
0 Likes 0 · ·
"Joe- i send you an email" Does this mean you sent me the email? I have not receive an email from you.
0 Likes 0 · ·
"As far as hearing back from the submitted feedback, they usually will not reply directly to you. " Your "Product Tour" video states that if I send feedback "We'll write back".

0 Likes 0 · ·
Show more comments
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Hi Brian,  After you click the fax icon to initiate the fax, you'll get the window below which I'm sure you are familiar with. If the recipient is not in your contact list, you'll just manually enter their fax number in the "to" field.  All the other fields including your information will copy over to the cover page. The "to"field on the cover sheet will remain blank.  So, unfortunately, there's not a field to add the recipients name unless you want to just included something in the "notes" field.  If it's for business, I would then recommend to just add the recipient to your contacts so that field propagates. 

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Brian Seekon avatar image
Brian Seekon answered ·

Thank you for the reply Mike.

You've got it!  This is the exact problem I'm having, and apparently there is no fix for this.  I have such a hard time understanding how a bunch of computer programmers can's figure out how to make this happen.  At this point the faxing software is darn-near worthless to me.  How can you have faxing software that does not allow you to populate the cover page recipient information?

Is there a way to revert back to the old software? (I assume not) 

I find it incredibly frustrating when people take software that works (albeit not perfectly) and remove a part of it that was never a problem to begin with!

I suppose that a workaround would be to create an external cover page, then attach it to the outgoing fax, but that just seems ridiculous.

If I failed this miserably at my job... I would be out of work.  AS I read previously from another frustrated client; "The new software appears to be mostly flash, and no substance." 

I guess all I really need to hear from RingCentral is, "We WILL fix this."  (So far I have not seen any evidence of this)

-Brian

hootsuite-app19 avatar image
hootsuite-app19 answered ·
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New Softphone. In response to ARAinLA on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/ARAinLA/status/68...

@RingCentral you will force me to DOWNGRADE to your new Softphone software with LESS functionality? https://t.co/4U6hMXzKDF

kim avatar image
kim answered ·
If you are finding that the new desktop app is missing something that you use on the Legacy, please go to Settings > and submit Feedback. 
We do understand that technical issues and changes can be frustrating, and want to hear from you, but feedback must be productive and professional. 

joe-lavely846 avatar image
joe-lavely846 answered ·
We were just forced to upgrade to the new version 7.50.020.00 - with no warning and no way to continue using previous Legacy version. The old version worked just fine and now we are encountering multiple issues that are interfering with the way our company operates. Namely cover page issues, which appears to be an ongoing problem according to community posts dating back a year or more. We send multiple faxes a day, to various contacts that are only used once or twice. If we want to add cover page, nothing shows up in the Recipient fields. Even if a contact is added (which we don't want to have to do for every fax sent!) the information doesn't get put in the fields on the cover page. Support was contacted, and no clear response was given as to why we are unable to access the features that worked just fine for us in previous version.
2 comments Share

Joe, please see the above image and submit your feedback through the App. As far as a warning on the legacy being retired, RingCentral sent the account Admin's multiple emails over the last few months.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Feedback was submitted, through the app and by phone when technical support was contacted to walk us through how to get the new version to do for us what the old version did without any problems. Still no clear answers on how to get the cover page to properly display recipient info - with or without adding new contact.
0 Likes 0 · ·
leschek1300 avatar image
leschek1300 answered ·
Bad business, unhappy.

Andrew Quist avatar image
Andrew Quist answered ·
https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/caller-id-blocking-doesnt-work-for-windows-desk...

Still isn't fixed.

I have 4x clients canceling service right now because they cannot call out blocked. They use the softphones in a call center setting. This has been over a year that this has supposedly been in development and they still cant figure out how to add a caller ID blocking option to the desktop app. 

Now with the force move of legacy soft-phone blocking there is no where else to turn but to another service. 

Nextiva here we come.

jason-preston849 avatar image
jason-preston849 answered ·
I am jumping on the band wagon too.  We upgraded to the new version and it will not recognize my Brother 7065DN.  It will recognize my Brother MFC-j430W but that one is not always available.  I talked with tech support and they could not figure it out and gave me the old version.  Everything was fine until Jan 15th when they shut it down.  Now I can not use my good scanner.

VERY UNHAPPY.  ALL I USE IS THE FAX FUNCTION AND IT DOESN'T WORK!  
3 comments Share

Hi Jason,  The new RingCentral Desktop should recognize the scanner when you install the software. Was the softphone by any chance installed while connected to a different network, or when the printer/scanner was offline?   Make sure the pringer is online and available on the network, then try to re-install the RC Desktop and if that does not work, please open a case and let us know.   Open a Case
0 Likes 0 · ·
Mike,
Thanks for the reply.  

I did open a case late summer or early fall 2015.  I had an RC tech work with me for about an hour, even connected to my computer.  Finally told me they would have to report this bug up the channels.  That is when they gave me the link to the old program and everything worked fine.

My network is very small, one room, two computers one wired printer/scanner and one wireless printer/scanner that goes in the mobile office in the summer.  I can connect to the wired scanner with other programs, like Paper Port, but the new RC program won't see it.  Same problem with both computers.  Same problem as last fall.

Like someone else said, I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just need a simple fax program.

0 Likes 0 · ·
The RC Desktop has had several updates since last Fall. If the latest version is not working, you'll need to open a case so we can troubleshoot the problem.  
0 Likes 0 · ·
Andrew Quist avatar image
Andrew Quist answered ·
I doubt they will write you back.

Just as you feel, my clients are outraged that they would not even notify them by email that the software was getting disconnected. I had no idea about it until I came on this site, but who seriously browses this forum for fun ? 

The only good tech support for this company is out of Denver, and its pretty hard to get through to those guys. There are some people who browse the forums on here that are pretty helpful however.

keri221 avatar image
keri221 answered ·
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled VERY UNHAPPY with forced update to Desktop Application. Being forced to convert to the new Windows application is beyond frustrating. The reason we never did so in the first place is because it was not user friendly and half of what we could do on Softphone could not be done with the new updates. A new version of something should never be released until you can do exactly what you could do with the old version plus more. If that cannot be done, why even release a new version and on top of that, force the users to use it when the kinks aren't all worked out? We are currently looking into other options for Internet Fax because RingCentral is no longer making things easier for us. In fact, RingCentral has made things more stressful and inconvenient for our office.
1 comment Share

We need users like yourself to provide detailed examples to the Submit Feedback option inside the Desktop App as to what features you'd like added/fixed. Please be patient with our Product Team as they review all of them and prioritize them accordingly.  Thank you. 
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces