question

bill12345 avatar image
bill12345 asked ·

Jitter troubleshooting

I'm trying to track down a problem with outbound jitter on my network that's affecting call quality.

My Internet connection is FiOS 30/30Mbps that tests out ( speedtest.net) at pretty close to that number. My router is Netgear ProSafe FVS336Gv2. Computers connect to the router through gigabit switches.

I am running the RingCentral QOS test on a laptop plugged into the network, and I get jitter readings in the range of 30-50ms. After a lot of troubleshooting I discovered that if I disconnect the primary desktop computer (Windows 10) that's connected to the network and remeasure, jitter drops to 0-5ms.

While the test is running (from the laptop) I'm watching Windows Task Manager and GlassWire network monitoring on the desktop. They show average network usage in around 3Kbs, with spikes no higher than 1.5Mbps.

These tests are consistent repeatable over several days: with desktop connected, I get high jitter. With it disconnected, I get very low jitter.

Any ideas on what's going on here or what I should look at next?

topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Hi Bill,  I'm moving this to a related topic to continue the conversation. 
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces