question

carolina-ballestas avatar image
carolina-ballestas asked mamerica13592 commented

Faxes: downloading as TIFF File instead of PDF

Hi, I received two faxes. Logged into my RingCentral account to view the fax. When I click on the icon to open the fax, it does not open as a .PDF. I get an error message because it is trying to open as as a .TIF. RingCentral no longer allows me to get customer service over the phone (they have a number, but when you go through IVR prompts, it eventually tells you that you need to go online to get Chat support and that it is it, it just dead ends). So I went on Chat. After more than 1 hour later and rep still had not idea how to solve the problem (actually very little progress had been made as there was just delay after delay in the reps response). They told me this had to go to level 2 and that they would get back to me within 24 to 48 hours. I cant wait that long. A supervisor did call me back after a while, but he told me he could not help me. He also told me that they would send to level 2. I demanded to speak with someone and they tried to put me through to a level 2 so that they could help me. But they could not reach anyone on level 2, so they told me that will have to call me back when they can. CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE. I am an experiences user of the faxes on RingCentral, and this has never happen before. Ring Central originally told me that to fix it that I needed to tell the customer to call send the fax again and this time to select .PDF as the file format that he was sending in. However, I told the rep that you don't actually select a file format when sending a fax. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME FAST AS I NEED ACCESS TO THESE TWO FAXES THAT CAME IN AND MY CUSTOMER CANNOT RESEND.

fax
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

kim avatar image
kim answered saadetswift16514 commented
I'm testing now... I checked case 04098750, and it has been escalated.  

Files seems to be corrupt.  Please have customer re-send fax. 
15 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

philip-thompson1237 avatar image philip-thompson1237 commented ·
I appreciate it.  Just frustrated that we can't receive faxes
1 Like 1 ·
david-howell515 avatar image david-howell515 commented ·
Has any feedback from RingCentral been received? I just had this same issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
kim avatar image kim commented ·
David - regarding the issue above the file was corrupt and the customer had to re-send the fax. 
0 Likes 0 ·
philip-thompson1237 avatar image philip-thompson1237 commented ·
Did anyone ever resolve this?  I am having the same problem and can't get any answers
0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
I just saw this and I apologize for jumping in late on this. My questions would be:
1. Do you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer? It's free and can be downloaded from https://get.adobe.com/reader/ . If you don't have it installed your computer will try, often unsuccessfully, to open a file with what it thinks might be the correct application to do so.
2. If you do have Adobe Reader installed, do you have the PDF extension assigned to be opened up as a TIFF file in the file properties? You can check that by right-clicking on the file and going to the properties menu selection. On the "General" tab it will tell you what program the file is opened with ("Opens with:"). See the screen shot of a PDF file below. If PDF files are not set to be opened with Adobe, they will try to open with something else.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
salata avatar image
salata answered kim commented
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fax's coming in as TIFF's. Our faxes are coming in as TIFF files and we can not open these. We are running newest version of softphone. From my understanding these should be coming in as PDF's.
7 comments
1 |3000

Okay. Check now...I reset Ext 103.  It was defaulted to PDF, but I toggled TIFF then back to PDF to reset it.  I sent a text fax and it came through as PDF along with another fax the user got shortly after mine.  

Please test on your end and verify. 
1 Like 1 ·
What extension is getting TIFF faxes?
0 Likes 0 ·
salata avatar image salata commented ·

0 Likes 0 ·
salata avatar image salata commented ·
It worked. Thank you. What about previous faxes that are saved as TIFFS can we access those? 
0 Likes 0 ·
Unfortunately those faxes will have to be re-sent. 
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
david-roberts avatar image
david-roberts answered samrizzo6419 commented
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My faxes are coming in as a tif. file and I can not open. I am running the newes.... Fax going in as tif. not as pdf.  Can not open.
3 comments
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hello David, please email us your account information and if there is a specific extension so we can try the above and see if it resolves the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
david-roberts avatar image david-roberts commented ·
my fax number is 866-379-9601.  What additional information do you need?
0 Likes 0 ·
samrizzo6419 avatar image samrizzo6419 commented ·
David, I just sent a test fax to you, can you let me know if it came through as a tiff or pdf?
0 Likes 0 ·
shanyn-stewart avatar image
shanyn-stewart answered
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fax: Downloading as a TIF and can not open. We are receiving faxes as TIF and not PDF.  We can not open any of the faxes received today.  Please advise.
1 |3000

wil-haines avatar image
wil-haines answered
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled TIF files received, but not supported. Any answers? Chat system is on strike.. TIF files received, but not supported. Files won't open with PhotoShop, Windows Photo Viewer, and Illustrator all report file that can't be opened. I received 7 identical faxes, all of which came through as TIF. Help appreciated.
1 |3000

saradennis11341 avatar image
saradennis11341 answered samrizzo6419 commented
We are receiving faxes as TIF, not PDF.  We cannot open any TIF received.  Please assist.
1 comment
1 |3000

samrizzo6419 avatar image samrizzo6419 commented ·
Can you please test this again for me? I just adjusted a setting for you and I am hoping that it allows faxes through as PDF's instead of TIFF.
0 Likes 0 ·
drbieneman avatar image
drbieneman answered saadetswift16514 commented
We are having this same issue.  Some of our faxes are coming through as TIFs instead of PDFs and cannot be opened.  Please help!
1 comment
1 |3000

Just responded to the email you sent! 
0 Likes 0 ·
clay2542 avatar image
clay2542 answered saadetswift16514 commented
I'm also having this problem.  I just received a fax as a tiff, rather than pdf.  Can't open the file.  
3 comments
1 |3000

Hey Clay, please email me at community.support@ringcentral.com with the phone number that is having issues receiving the .tiff files and I'll refresh the setting on the back end. If that doesn't work, you'll need to open a case so we can further investigate.
0 Likes 0 ·
ismail-menguc11903 avatar image ismail-menguc11903 commented ·
I am having this issue this morning my fax number 423-388-4862
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Ismail, I have refreshed the setting for your account. If you're still receiving TIFF files, please open a case so our Support Team can further investigate
0 Likes 0 ·
homebase-canada-inc13475 avatar image
homebase-canada-inc13475 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Hi Our Fax is now doing the same thing coming in as TIF instead of PDF. Please advise why this is happening?
1 comment
1 |3000

Please open a Support Case so we can investigate
0 Likes 0 ·
mamerica13592 avatar image
mamerica13592 answered mamerica13592 commented
I would actually prefer to receive faxes as TIFF files. We have software that can read tif images but it cannot read pdf's. Is there a setting for this somewhere?
3 comments
1 |3000

You can ask Support to enable your extensions to read the Faxes as TIFF files
1 Like 1 ·
mamerica13592 avatar image mamerica13592 commented ·
I asked support about this today. They said that they cannot do that. They said that if someone sends a TIF it will be stored as a TIF. If someone sends a PDF, it is stored as a PDF. Frankly, I don't think they know what they are talking about. I know for a fact that a Fax machine transmits faxes as a TIFF. It's native to the FAX Specification. I have written software that integrates with faxes. Fax machines do not transmit PDF documents.
0 Likes 0 ·
mamerica13592 avatar image mamerica13592 commented ·
I just confirmed that what tech support told me is simply wrong. I faxed a TIF to myself and it showed up as a PDF. Does anyone at RC actually know what they are talking about?
0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app