question

main-number892 avatar image
main-number892 asked Front Desk answered

SMS: Allow blocking of text messages

I was surprised to learn today that we do not have the ability to block a number that is using SMS to text me SPAM. All numbers that are blocked from voice should also be Blocked from sending text messages. Is omeone is only using SMS those #s should be blckable as well.

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jeff-linder1731 avatar image
jeff-linder1731 answered
Agree. I am receiving SMS spam and would like to block that number. Can't even report the number as a spammer. It should be blocked for all Ring Central customers.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

J.B. Ferguson avatar image
J.B. Ferguson answered Peter Saputo commented
You can block that number and it will stop the spam texts from that number. I have done that in the past and it worked. Just to verify it, before I posted this, I blocked my wife's cell phone and then sent a text to my RC digital line (the one I receive texts on). I did not receive that text, even after waiting over 10 minutes.

I then unblocked her cell phone and sent a second text, with different wording to tell the difference, and it went through immediately. The other text has still to be received, even though it was sent over 15 minutes ago. Yet the second text was received immediately.

Have you tested this yourself? It works for me and I recall this might have been brought up once before and my solution worked for them as well.

If you want to block it from all your digital lines, simply block it in the Super Admin  extension.
1 comment
1 |3000

Peter Saputo avatar image Peter Saputo commented ·

It is not possible to block texts if the text number is less than 7 digits. Discovered this inability from Tier 2 Support today 9/9/2020.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike avatar image
mike Deactivated answered
Jan is correct. If you block a number, it should block texts/sms messages too. This page shows the steps to block a number from the Desktop App. 

One minor change from the instructions is the location and appearance of the block button. It will now look like this.

1 |3000

tv-phone-lines avatar image
tv-phone-lines answered J.B. Ferguson commented
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Block numbers from texting (SMS) like we can with calls. We have a U.S. account that we use for a church phone line.
We have someone that consistently texted our phone line 10+ times a day, lighting up our phones & email addresses with notifications. These are not texts that we want! It would be great if there was a feature that allowed us to block a phone number from texting us the same way we are able to block a number from calling us.
3 comments
1 |3000

J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
That is absolutely correct!
1 Like 1 ·
mike avatar image mike commented ·
It looks like ext 102 is the only one that has a blocked number on it. Be sure to log in as the Admin and block the number and that should solve your problem. 
0 Likes 0 ·
line-3-chris9946 avatar image line-3-chris9946 commented ·

We have the same issue - I blocked the number and we still get text messages to our main number and we have a distribution mail box that sends an email notification with that text to all of us and we get at least 10 per day. How can I block a number for texting us?. we have over 10 numbers and extension. I don't know which number the text is being send to - I assume it is out main number but we don't have an area with "settings" like the message below for the main number where we can do that.

Can you help?

I just read an another post that if i block it on the super admin account - it will stop and i just did that - is this right?
0 Likes 0 ·
bob-robinson3288 avatar image
bob-robinson3288 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Instructions on the portal under Screening, Greeting & Hold Music should be updated to include that the blocking applies to SMS as well.  Change the menu item in the middle from "Blocked Calls" to "Blocked Numbers" or "Blocked Calls, Faxes, and SMS" and on the right, change "Block specific calls and faxes" to "Block specific calls, faxes, and SMS"... Updating this might help avoid lots of forum posts/questions, chats, and help desk calls.
1 comment
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Creating new feature request Please reference the new conversation here: Block SMS: Suggestion that Settings be Updated
0 Likes 0 ·
cglassy3135 avatar image
cglassy3135 answered cglassy3135 commented
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-06-14  Directions for blocking SHORTCODES sending us an inundation of spam?   They send these to all our site's main numbers daily, multiple times per day.
2 comments
1 |3000

Hey Cecile,

Unfortunately there is not a way at this time. Here is the active feature request for this.
1 Like 1 ·
cglassy3135 avatar image cglassy3135 commented ·
Thanks Saadet!   
0 Likes 0 ·
ryan-lynch9492 avatar image
ryan-lynch9492 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Bumping this thread back to active.... Our fax line is getting dozens of spam sms texts per day. Inundating our front desk with unless email notifications. There really should be an option to block all incoming sms to a digital line. Not per sender. For the entire line. 
1 comment
1 |3000

Hey Ryan,

If you don't want a DL to make/receive any SMS, we can disable the SMS functionality for that phone number. Simply open a Support Ticket so it can be routed to the appropriate team.
0 Likes 0 ·
joyce-dilllman1568 avatar image
joyce-dilllman1568 answered jessica-community-moderator commented
Is there any hope for being able to block 5 digit SMS text messages?  I've tried going into the desktop app like Mike suggested and clicking on the block icon.  Works great for phone numbers.  Doesn't work at all for 5 digit SMS text messages.
1 comment
1 |3000

jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Joyce, 

There isn't a way to block the 5 digit SMS messages at this time. Please vote for this feature request here
0 Likes 0 ·
ian1234 avatar image
ian1234 answered
Damn these guys are hopelessly slow with the Dev side to fix these issues.
1 |3000

randy-hodge avatar image
randy-hodge answered
I get a spam text from 91841 in Spanish every single day. Some times multiple times a day. There seems to be no way to block those. Very disappointed in this service.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app