question

mike avatar image
mike Deactivated asked colin-simpson commented

Desktop App: Will it run on Linux?

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mike avatar image
mike Deactivated answered Doug Ritchie commented
No, but you can install the RingCentral for Google Chrome app, which will give you most of the functionality as the desktop app. 

This is not officially supported for Linux, but, It does seem to work on Ubuntu version 14.04. 

If anyone else has tested it on other versions feel free to post and let us know your experience. 

I installed the extension on both Chrome, and Chromium and it worked well on both. You will need to have a DL to dial use the dial from Browser option.

Mike
3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

sam-ciraulo14929 avatar image sam-ciraulo14929 commented ·
Mike;
your post is 3 years old, Has this issue been fixed? are you supporting Linux based systems now? do you have a pre-packaged installer? 

thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Sam, unfortunately we do not have a Linux specific app.
0 Likes 0 ·
Doug Ritchie avatar image Doug Ritchie commented ·
I just installed RingCentral for Google Chrome on Chromium... on Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Serena... and it seems to work well.... Thanks for the suggestion. 
0 Likes 0 ·
randy-t182 avatar image
randy-t182 answered mike Deactivated commented
I've never tried Mike, but I have played around with Ubuntu a wee bit in the past. There is a program called Wine that allows you to run Windows programs in Linux. The ultimate answer is I don't know, but it would be interesting to see if it would work in Wine. I just spoke with my brother who has an extra Linux machine laying around. When he gets the chance he's going to load it to see what happens. I'll give you feedback then, but just know my brother works on manana time, so it might be awhile.
1 comment
1 |3000

mike avatar image mike commented ·
Great. Thanks for the info!
0 Likes 0 ·
jeremy-ricci avatar image
jeremy-ricci answered jeremy-ricci commented
I didn't know there was a Chrome App, I'll definitely try that.  I have installed the softphone app in Fedora23 using wine.  It crashed almost immediately, added some msxml libraries (all I think) and that seems to have helped a bit.  If I find the "magic bullet" in terms of libraries that keep it stable I'll gladly post, but ultimately I would really love RingCentral to show some love for the Linux folks out there. 
1 comment
1 |3000

jeremy-ricci avatar image jeremy-ricci commented ·
As a follow-up, the Chrome App is "ok".  I cannot seem to find any option to change to my plantronics headset for mic and audio and apparently gmail needs to remain open for it to work (not a huge deal). 
0 Likes 0 ·
angee-dasigan avatar image
angee-dasigan answered
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral App on Linux. Hi, 
I found a solution by adding the extension to google mail.  I'm glad you replied back because it at least show you have concern, but I have lead a support team in the past and I would highly advise you to get your support team to tell linux customers that they can still use the gmail extension.  

And on top of that, if you have a google extension, why not just make a web browser-based one as well, and that would fix almost 100% compatibility issues. 

photo Chad Brooks
Project Manager/Executive Assistant - Boost Media GroupA 1485 Bay Shore Blvd. Suite 177 San Francisco, CA 94124
P   (415) 599-2956  P   800.35.Social  ext 176 F   916.302.4742  E  chad @boostmediagroup.com  W   www.boostmediagroup.com 
1 |3000

Ivanner Mora avatar image
Ivanner Mora answered
How come it says "Powered by Zoom" yet Zoom supports Linux video calls and you don't ?
1 |3000

damian-cinich6943 avatar image
damian-cinich6943 answered
It's great having a Chrome extension for scheduling meetings, but it's not usefull if it depends on the Desktop App.

As the Desktop App doesn't run on Linux, there's no way to run RC on Linux.

Emulation with Wine could be an option, but it's not the right way.

Android is Linux-based and it has official support. Even Zoom has official Linux support.

Please add support for Linux.

Thanks.
1 |3000

michael-fowler8350 avatar image
michael-fowler8350 answered
We're running Linux, and the Chrome extension does work similarly to the Softphone Desktop application for Windows.  However, we depend on the HUD feature in the regular Desktop app which the extension doesn't have.  We need HUB for the extension asap! 
1 |3000

andrew-johnson8346 avatar image
andrew-johnson8346 answered
Same here, I only use Linux and I can't receive escalation calls due not running the app natively. Even with the mobile app or the chrome extension it doesn't allows you to be part of HUB or group diversion due to the device type :(
1 |3000

cglassy3135 avatar image
cglassy3135 answered
The Google Chrome Extension ver 4.0 is starting Beta soon, contact your Customer Success Mgr. to ask to join the test group.
1 |3000

michael-fowler8350 avatar image
michael-fowler8350 answered
Does this mean that the Chrome Extension v4.0 will have the HUD functionality?
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app