question

Team RIAB avatar image
Team RIAB asked ·

Mobile App disconnects frequently - what are the optimal settings for outbound calls?

I am using the Mobile App on Android and make outbound calls from it (RingOut). I dial the number, and the app calls me back to connect the call.

After about 5-10 minutes, the call will simply disconnect. And I have to call the person back. This happens constantly, and sometimes the interval is a little as just a few minutes!

My WiFi connection is pretty fast (75/15mbps; business class) with no other activity during the calls.

I have no idea why my calls are getting dropped, but suspect it is a setting I am not fully understanding.

I have set the Mobile App to not use VOIP at all (VOIP disabled). Does that mean it's using my cellular connection as a straight cellular call to connect to the other party, or is it still using cellular data to connect over VOIP?

What do you guys recommend for the VOIP setting?

TIA.
topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Lori Collins avatar image
Lori Collins answered ·
I too had this issue just last week. I don't use the calling out feature too often since we are usually in office and I use our landline phone to call out. But I was traveling and didn't want my mobile phone # to be displayed on the recipient's caller ID. My call dropped twice during about a 10 minute conversation. I have VOIP turned off. Please explain exactly what you mean by a hard reboot, and I'll try that along with turning VOIP on. Thanks much.
4 comments Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

iPhones: Press and hold the Home button (big circle below the screen) and the Sleep/Wake button (on top of the  iPhone) simultaneously. Hold both buttons until the  iPhone shuts off and begins to  restart (about 10 seconds). 

Android: Take the battery out and put it back in, or power it off and back on. 

Definitely test this with the VoIP ON and see if the call is more reliable over the internet when you make those calls. I, personally, find connected to VoIP is more reliable than with my cell phone carrier...especially in the building I'm in where there are certain dead stops where my carrier drops.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Checking in....how did the testing go? :-) 
0 Likes 0 · ·
Thanks for following up. With VOIP = ON, it resulted in a lot of warbling and cutouts even with my fast connection. I now use it with VOIP = OFF and disable my wifi on my phone, disable cellular data, and change the network to EDGE 2G which gives me the strongest signal (~ -77dB), and then place the call from the computer app, which then rings my phone and connects the call. I have not had a dropout yet (knock on wood) and call quality is clear and without any warbling.
0 Likes 0 · ·
teamriab,  What you've described, indicates that your sound issues are network related.  Even though you have adequate speed, the warbling sound you described has more to do with latency and/or jitter.   You can diagnose this by running a PingPlotter test as shown on this thread:   How do I troubleshoot Call Quality issues 
0 Likes 0 · ·
kim avatar image
kim answered ·
If the VoIP is turned off then the WiFi connection is irrelevant, because it's not using the internet to make the call.  It is using your cell phone carrier, therefore it's using your data.   

If you turn VoIP ON, do the calls still drop? 
Try doing a hard reboot and testing with VoIP ON. 

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces