question

jesus-anaya avatar image
jesus-anaya asked ·

Google Chrome Extension: doesn't show contact name while viewing a conversation

When using the RC chrome extension, when looking at my list of conversations or when I have a conversation open it shows the phone number and doesn't identify the name of the person I am messaging with.

When seeing this, my instinct says I don't have that contact added to my contacts. Then I click on the new sms button and can search by name and find the contacts I need.

Is this a bug?

topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Can you tell me if the same thing happens when you log in with just the main number, instead of number + ext? 

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Try logging into the Chrome using the direct number for extension 117 instead of the main number + ext.    If you log into the web portal and make sure you have the contact added for that user, it should work.  If the contact is only added under the main number, then the name won't appear in the chat. 

Mike
2 comments Share

Thanks Mike. I tried your suggestions and it worked. Numbers at the top are now names. Direct number shows names, main + extension shows numbers.

The more you know.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Thanks for the followup!   Let us know if we can help again!

Mike 
0 Likes 0 · ·
scott-zimmerman avatar image
scott-zimmerman answered ·
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral for Google Chrome Extension. Great Features but Doesn't Work Well.  Problem seems to be that Google Contacts won't resolve quickly with the RingCentral extension.  The extension displays phone messages or texts from "unknown" callers, but those callers are in fact in my address book.  Ironically, the iPhone RingCentral app works better -- the same messages or calls identify the name of the person who they are from.  So the smartphone app resolves contacts well; but the chrome extension does not.  And in the extension, it takes sometimes up to a minute to pull up a contact in order to make a call or send a text.  The extension is working over the internet and is very slow (despite my office having superfast internet.
6 comments Share

HI Scott,  Does yours behave the same as the example shown above?  Can you let us know how you are logging in?  main number + extension, or is there a direct number that you are logging in with?  Try logging in with the direct number if there is one and let us know what happens. 

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
I log in via extension (direct number).  Yes, some text conversations display same as your example, i.e. with the number only, not the name. The extension works inconsistently.  Same for voicemail messages:  a voicemail message will display in the extension from a "wireless caller" which is a contact in my google phone book, i.e. it doesn't show the name of the person who left the message  (but it does in RingCentral App on my iPhone).  I went over this with someone in Level 1 support at RingCentral, and he confirmed that the same happens with him.   
0 Likes 0 · ·
As to texts, they display as being from "Unknown Author" under conversation details.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Compare the attached two screenshots of same messages.  1 - From my RingCentral App on iPhone; and 2  - From the RingCentral Google Chrome Extension on my desktop.  Same messages.

0 Likes 0 · ·
In other words:  Bruce Gersh left a voicemail yesterday.  His name displays on RingCentral iPhone app, but only as "Wireless caller" on chrome extension.  The text conversation with Lee Miller displays her name on iPhone App, but only as her mobile number (8183995129) on the chrome extension.  Same for text conversation with Debra Korduner.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces