question

brandon-scivolette1312 avatar image
brandon-scivolette1312 asked mary-community-moderator commented

Desktop App: HUD/Presence showing incorrectly status

Weird Activity: Callers Remaining 'on hold' After Disconnect

This past Friday evening we experienced some issues with RC, a situation I haven't yet seen before. It happened for the last hour our office was opened and, I hoped, it was a one time fluke. Unfortunately, it has already happened once today.

Description

Two of our reps had accepted inbound calls. During the call they both put the initial caller on hold and made a second call. When they returned to the first caller they weren't there, they assume they were disconnected. I noticed that something was wrong about 15 minutes later because both of their lines were flashing (on hold) and the HUD showed the same thing. But, I knew it was unusual for them to be on hold for that long. Sure enough, neither was on the phone. I checked the RC queue status and both showed as 'busy'. Adding to this was that both customers, who were originally presumed to be disconnected, called back after waiting on hold for 25 minutes. They thought we left them on hold and they were still connected to our system. I advised both of them to disconnect the hold line and that is when the issue ended.

The most alarming part of this issue is that neither rep knew there was an issue. From their side both their desktop phone and HUD showed them as available.

Has anyone reported anything like this before?

presence
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

alex-d365 avatar image
alex-d365 answered
We have experienced similar issues.
Additionally, and possibly related, we have had calls put on hold, the outside end hangs up. this should free up the line, BUT it does not. It continues to remain on hold and occupies the line.
We have to go to the line and end it.
Is our account being charged for these minutes?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

kim avatar image
kim answered
@Brandon -  I've seen this issue happen in the past for customers who don't have their routers configured correctly.  But Brandon, I think you've already verified this recently with us, correct?  If so, I recommend  opening a web case and putting those call samples in the case.  Remember that call samples will need to be within 24 hours and must include the Date, time, called to, called from, and result.  If you open a case, please provide me with the case number here.  
1 |3000

brandon-scivolette1312 answered
I'm not sure. I'm not really worried about the minutes. My concern is that I have reps available but their line is considered 'busy', which means callers cannot get through. Not to mention the two callers I mentioned think we've left them on hold and forgotten about them.
1 |3000

brandon-scivolette1312 answered
I guess what I am getting at is: Did any other users report a similar issue on Friday? Around 6pm EST? I searched the forum and didn't see anything, but I wanted to inquire further. If nobody else had the issue then perhaps it is a fluke. 
1 |3000

brandon-scivolette1312 answered kim commented
Gah. Last evening I configured the router with the recommended port triggering and, unfortunately, this morning I still see issues with HUD/presence status showing incorrectly. My router configs are attached via a screenshot.

NOTE: The port triggering information provided to me by Nathan on 6/03/2016 (via private message) and the ports specified in the official support answer on 6/07/2016 differ slightly. 

1 comment
1 |3000

kim avatar image kim commented ·
I'm going to create a case for you and I'm going to do some digging...
0 Likes 0 ·
Jonathan Hunter avatar image
Jonathan Hunter answered brandon-scivolette1312 commented
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled desktop app HUD - Version 8.1.1 Issues with Presence between Desktop Apps. Hi,
Are there any known issues with the desktop app version 8.1.1 and presence between desktop app clients?
The status doesnt change to Busy or on a call, so calls are still routed as the system sees all clients as available.
Does anyone else have this issue?
Many thanks
Jon
1 comment
1 |3000

brandon-scivolette1312 avatar image brandon-scivolette1312 commented ·
Maybe try the new update to 8.2.1.22660? Although, your issue sounds like it's something more serious. To clarify, "busy" is just a status, it doesn't stop calls from being routed on its own. You need to also turn off the two options for accepting direct and queued calls.
0 Likes 0 ·
kmay6354 avatar image
kmay6354 answered
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Presence on deskphone shows on a call, desktop app shows available. We have a couple of users whose phones are showing on other users' desk phones as on a call. However, they are not and their desktop presence also shows available. When you attempt to call their extension, it sends you to another user's extensions.
1 |3000

kmay6354 avatar image
kmay6354 answered
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Presence: user still showing "Available" when on an incoming call.. When picking up an incoming call from the auto-receptionist, the user still shows available in Presence, as well as when retrieving a call from Park.
Presence only shows you are on a call when taking an incoming call on your direct line, a transferred call or when you are on with another RC user.
We would like for that user to show as on an active call in presence ANY TIME they are on the phone.
Is this an RC issue or a settings issue?
1 |3000

nathan-malone1532 avatar image
nathan-malone1532 answered kim commented
Hello All,

I wanted to provide the following information in hopes to help resolve the HUD issues on the softphone. The new versions of the softphone use a new set of IP subnets to signal presence for the HUD. In order for the HUD to work correctly you need to make sure that your router or firewall will allow traffic both inbound and outbound from the below noted IP addresses over the ports listed on our network requirements page.

Check for Network Updates here:   QoS How do I troubleshoot Call Quality issues? Network requirements?

54.249.82.128/26
54.236.3.128/26
54.241.191.192/26
54.246.196.128/26
54.207.127.192/27
37.58.79.160/27
198.11.216.98/27
5.153.35.160/27
50.22.5.112/28
54.175.63.64/26
54.93.127.192/26
54.209.255.64/26
54.241.191.64/26
54.219.189.192/26
52.4.63.128/26
54.233.127.192/27
54.219.189.64/26
54.175.191.192/26
54.250.252.0/26
54.171.191.192/26
54.93.254.192/26

I hope this helps to resolve the problems.
5 comments
1 |3000

Hi Kim,

Honestly, it's the exact same thing every time. I previously posted a screenshot of the HUD in a different post. I can provide more, but they are all the exact same thing.
1 Like 1 ·
Hi Nathan. Our router settings (including the IP's you listed above) look good. What about Windows Firewall on the users local machine? I'll assume if the desktop app is working correctly (excluding the random presence issues) then it probably isn't a local PC firewall issue?
0 Likes 0 ·
Brandon - can you post 2-3 call samples in your case (calls from today or within the last 24 hours). 

Case#  04823485 
0 Likes 0 ·
Also, I just realized that no matter what the issue is (incorrect presence, HUD showing incoming call even though it was already answered, etc) they are ALL related to  inbound calls. Outbound calls show the presence correctly the majority, if not all the time. I can't say outbound calls are correct 100% of the time, but that's only because I'm not certain. I think all of my issues are related to inbound.
0 Likes 0 ·
Thank you for reminding me of the other thread/case. 
0 Likes 0 ·
eric-l977 avatar image
eric-l977 answered eric-l977 commented
We're currently running RC Windows vers 8.2.1, and noticed that the new DND presence status appears as "Busy" on everybody else's HUD.  Just opened a case regarding this issue, but still noticing some presence glitches as well.

We had a call come through the call queue earlier today which I answered, and after I ended the call, I noticed that one user was still showing there was an incoming call from that same number.  Persisted for a few minutes before it corrected itself.
4 comments
1 |3000

The second issue you mentioned is something we see all the time. We also have situations where the presence indicator on the desk phone is working correctly but it doesn't show correctly on the HUD (not just the false incoming call on HUD). Then minutes later it will be the exact opposite (HUD will be correct, desk phone shows nothing). It's really weird.

Ultimately it's not affecting our ability to answer inbound calls, it just confuses the staff and can complicate otherwise simple tasks.
0 Likes 0 ·
Just to be clear, the issue is SO much worse today. Users couldn't change their status (busy to available) for nearly an hour, HUD is 2-3 minutes behind the desk phone in terms of syncing the actual presence of a user (e.g. user is on a call and HUD won't reflect that until 2-3 minutes later) and similar issues. I've already spoken with Anthony, the rep who called, but so far no suggestions as to how this can be resolved :(
0 Likes 0 ·
kmay6354 avatar image kmay6354 commented ·
We are also having really strange issues with HUD. User A parked a call, user B picked it up. However, on HUD, call is showing as incoming on User C's phone for several minutes. 

Multiple similar issues.  Never know if HUD is accurate or not.
0 Likes 0 ·
eric-l977 avatar image eric-l977 commented ·
Yeah, this presence issue with the HUD has been absolutely terrible today.  It either shows users have an incoming call that was from 10 minutes ago and the phones aren't even currently ringing, or the phones ring but nothing shows up on the HUD.  And just now during a call, there was a big delay in being able to put the caller on hold and park.  I even got a notification that the Park feature is not available at this time.

Our Polycom VVX500 phones are also showing one user is on the phone, even though she hasn't made/answered a call for at least 45 minutes.  The same user also wasn't able to receive Call Queue calls even after coming off DND.

I don't know what's causing these issues, but this is seriously getting out of hand.  And before a RC Tech asks, we have configured our router settings to match your requirements, and have reviewed them numerous times when previous issues occurred.

Between the unreliability of the Presence feature (on both desk phones & the app/softphone), and the lack of several BASIC features (some of which were requested by users as far back as 3 years ago), I'm honestly beginning to question how RingCentral has been rated as one of the best VOIP providers.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!!!!!
0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app