question

brandon-scivolette1312 avatar image
brandon-scivolette1312 asked mary-community-moderator commented

Desktop App: HUD/Presence showing incorrectly status

Weird Activity: Callers Remaining 'on hold' After Disconnect

This past Friday evening we experienced some issues with RC, a situation I haven't yet seen before. It happened for the last hour our office was opened and, I hoped, it was a one time fluke. Unfortunately, it has already happened once today.

Description

Two of our reps had accepted inbound calls. During the call they both put the initial caller on hold and made a second call. When they returned to the first caller they weren't there, they assume they were disconnected. I noticed that something was wrong about 15 minutes later because both of their lines were flashing (on hold) and the HUD showed the same thing. But, I knew it was unusual for them to be on hold for that long. Sure enough, neither was on the phone. I checked the RC queue status and both showed as 'busy'. Adding to this was that both customers, who were originally presumed to be disconnected, called back after waiting on hold for 25 minutes. They thought we left them on hold and they were still connected to our system. I advised both of them to disconnect the hold line and that is when the issue ended.

The most alarming part of this issue is that neither rep knew there was an issue. From their side both their desktop phone and HUD showed them as available.

Has anyone reported anything like this before?

presence
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brandon-scivolette1312 answered brandon-scivolette1312 commented
Kim (and RC Team),

I feel like I've dealt with so many people, between the support community, reps on the phone, etc and I've provided a lot of information about the problem, but it's not all in a single place. So, to help your tech folks locate the issue I am giving you a single summary of the issue that has been discussed in multiple posts and tickets.

I want to start by reminding you that I own a software company and I write software architecture, so I have expertise that is relative to the problem. I am only pointing this out because, as I am sure you know, most people lack this expertise and can often confuse a real issue with their own user error. 

Our Setup
I have four employees. 3 of the 4 employees work in the office every day, 1 works remotely most days. For those in the office, they have a Polycom desk phone which they use to make and receive calls. Each employee also has the desktop app running, but this is primarily to quickly set their presence status and it makes it easier to track other user's presence. The remote user does not have a Polycom desk phone, she uses the desktop app to make/receive calls and has a Polycom headset. All users have Windows 10 as their OS.

Issue Summary
There are many variations to the issues we experience, but most often the issue is the presence/status of one or more users isn't accurately reflected. That could be on the HUD, on the desk phone itself and, sometimes, on both. Examples of this are:

1. A user is shown as on a call or on hold when they are not
  2. A user shows as available but they are actually on a call

To be clear, the above examples can happen on the HUD  OR the desk phone, and sometimes both (at the same time). It's completely random, and some days the issue may even switch between the two. For example, today our desk phones are showing presence for each user correctly while the HUD is completely off, absolutely incorrect 100% of the time. However, it's quite possible that at some point today the desk phones will show inaccurate information and the HUD will be the accurate source. It's also possible that, at some point today, both will accurately display user presence. It's a crap shoot, we never know. As I write this post I am watching my HUD as it shows one user on a call and another user has an incoming call, yet the desk phone correctly shows that neither user is on a call right now.

Variation 1
A variation of the issue described is when an inbound call is answered yet continues to show as ringing other users for a period of time. Example: An inbound call from 555-555-5555 simultaneously rings three users. User 1 accepts the call and is connected. The HUD will usually (correctly) show that user 1 is on the call with that caller. However, the HUD will continue to show the same caller as an incoming call to user 2 and user 3. There are times when this lasts a minute or two, and other times it may last 20 minutes or more. Ultimately it doesn't affect their "true" status since they can still accept new incoming calls, but it can be confusing when you look at the HUD.

Variation 2 (More Severe)
So far the issues I have described are more of an annoyance than anything. While their presence may not be accurately displayed the RC system still knows their "true" status, allowing them to accept calls if they are truly available. However, with this 2nd variation of the issue their true status can be incorrect, which means that available users are not receiving inbound calls. This is, obviously, a very big deal because we could have potential customers in a call queue, and reps available, yet the reps don't even know that there are inbound calls. Most often we find out about this issue when we receive a voicemail during office hours. With reps available we don't expect to see a voicemail come in and, when we do, it usually has something to do with this issue.

To clarify, my definition of "true" status is the status RC shows for each user in a specific queue in the "Member Availability" screen (screenshot attached). In this particular variation the user will show as busy or unavailable when they are, in fact, available. By 'available' I mean their actual status is "Available", they are not on a phone call and they are accepting queue calls.

Troubleshooting
We've done a lot of troubleshooting here and have already completed the obvious tests and potential fixes. Most recently I was here overnight and configured the router with the recommended port triggering and QOS (per this resource).

Observations
As someone who understands software I am consistently looking for patterns. 98% of the time software issues have  something in common; locating that commonality will typically give clues as to the root cause. This issue, and the many variations, have been ongoing for a very long time. As I write this I can confirm the following:

1. It happens at random. There are no patterns in terms of the day, time, call volume, number of users online or anything similar. It happens when it happens, there does not appear to be a specific trigger. There are days, sometimes maybe even weeks, when we have no issues at all. Conversely, there are times when it happens constantly
  2. Whether it is the HUD (desktop app), desk phone or both is also random. There isn't a pattern
  3. No other applications, computers, connections, etc are affected. Everything else (e.g. the Internet, Internet connection, local PC's, software, etc) all operate normally when these issues occur
  4. I am 100% certain that the cause has nothing to do with the router, Internet or the configuration of either. I know this because the employee who works remotely experiences many of the same issues at the exact same time. Considering she is not on our network and using a different ISP this means that it cannot be network related. This point can be proven by Nathan's support response in which he verified that a remote user cannot be affected by our internal network under the conditions I described
The Root Cause
I am not a RC engineer and I don't know how your software works. So I can only hypothesize as to the root cause, the one thing the the majority of the issues have in common: the syncing of user presence.

10 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brandon-scivolette1312 avatar image brandon-scivolette1312 commented ·
I get it, I do. Same issue here. My employees get annoyed and they want me to fix it, but there's only so much I can do.

Doubling back to the call quality issues, what steps have you taken on your side? I can't say any of my staff has reported call quality issues in a very long time. And, the last time it was an issue, I found out it was because of the way we had each workstation configured. I was running a single ethernet connection to the desk phone, then directly from the phone to the PC. Ultimate mistake. Found out that I was killing 90% of our bandwidth this way, thus we had call quality issues. I now run a single ethernet connection to each and it fully resolved that problem.
1 Like 1 ·
I can almost guarantee that is the source of your quality issue. We were experiencing the same problem for several weeks, maybe a year ago.

I felt like our Internet speed was more than sufficient but I couldn't figure it out. So, I hired an IT tech to come in and look over our router, thinking it was some advanced configuration that we needed to set up or modify. This was after I spent countless hours trying various things on my own. He looked over our network and settings and quickly determined that was not the source. 10 minutes later he identified our setup as the problem and showed me how he measured the bandwidth capacity, both before and after. The difference was night and day, never had an issue since then.
1 Like 1 ·
eric-l977 avatar image eric-l977 commented ·
YES!  Well said Brandon!  Everything you mentioned is essentially the same that we experience, and I'm sure MANY others as well.

RingCentral, if you advertise that you have certain features available, make sure they work most of the time.  It's understandable if an error/glitch/bug occurs every now & then, but this is too much.  As Brandon said, some days/weeks you're fine, others are a nightmare.  There is no way to prevent it, and no way to fix it when it occurs.

Do not try to blame it on Windows 10, because this was happening long before we upgraded to Win10 (about a month ago, FYI), and even before the 8.0 update for the Desktop app.
0 Likes 0 ·
I get what you are saying, Eric. But, believe me, software development at their level is nearly impossible to get right. I have no doubt they are trying, but it's complicated, I'm sure far more than we know (or want to know). 

These issues are annoying, I can attest to that, but I think RC really does have good intentions. Unlike larger companies, say AT&T, RC is an innovator. Always thinking, expanding, growing, acquiring (e.g. Glip), which ultimately benefits us. I've continually been impressed with the number and rate of features they release, it really is pretty exceptional from a development perspective.
0 Likes 0 ·
Don't get me wrong, Brandon.  I am IMMENSELY more satisfied with RingCentral than Vonage.  And I cannot imagine what occurs behind the scenes.  However, I do find it disappointing that there have been features which have been requested years ago by many users, yet features recently requested by a few are implemented sooner.

Aside from the Presence issues, the occasional call quality issues, and lack of some basic features, I've got no qualms with RC.  It just gets annoying when these issues continue to recur, and my coworkers complain asking for solutions I don't have.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
brandon-scivolette1312 answered brandon-scivolette1312 commented
I've spent most of my day really exploring this issue. I figure today is a great day for it because it's been consistent and, as any developer will tell you, it's always best to troubleshoot as the issue is occurring.

Anyway, I've talked with my employees about the variations of the issues to see if anything they have experienced helped me understand it better. My office manager, Kayla, said something that really grabbed my attention. She was talking about the sync issues and how, at times, it appears that the presence of two users were somehow intertwined. For example, user 1 is on a call and is the only user on a call, this shows correctly on the HUD. While user 1 is on the call User 2 makes or accepts a new call. Sometimes, when this happens, user 1 appears to be on two calls while user 1 shows as available. When user 2 hangs up the HUD immediately shows user 1 as being on one call. I found that interesting.

As I thought about this further, and the sync issues, I started to think about what could cause such confusion. Then it hit me: cache. What if the RC desktop app is somehow confusing current data with cached data, or something similar? As a desktop application it stores all kinds of data so I assumed this must be possible, especially when you consider how much is going on behind the scenes.

So, I explored the desktop app and found the 'Purge Data' button (cog icon > support tab). I clicked it. When the desktop app reopened I signed in and, believe it or not, the problem was resolved - Immediately both the HUD and desk phone were synced. My initial thought was that this would only affect me at my local workstation because, afterall, I only purged my local application data. But, inexplicably, it resolved the problem for everyone, even my remote employee.

Now, is this a  real solution? I doubt it. It's only been 30 minutes since this happened and, while everything is still working correctly, I am guessing the problem will come back shortly. I also find it very odd that the purge data on my local computer fixed the issue for everyone; that will definitely need to be explored further by someone at RC.
1 comment
1 |3000

Of course, right after posting I see that the 'incoming call' issue has returned. Presence of all users, both desktop app and desk phone, is still accurate. But clearly purging the app data didn't resolve this annoyance.

0 Likes 0 ·
brandon-scivolette1312 answered
Hi Kim,

This thread talks about a few issues, but today I'm back to the original issue where a caller that was put on hold appears to be disconnected yet, somehow, remains on hold. Basically, the exact same thing I described in the original post on this thread. It first happened last Friday and hasn't happened since then, until just now. I have a user who is  not on a call yet RC thinks she is. My guess is that, just like the previous occasions, the caller that appears to be on hold really is on hold. Is there a way to force the line to disconnect from a call?
1 |3000

kim avatar image
kim answered brandon-scivolette1312 commented
Please get with Sean, the T3 agent working on your case.  He sent you an e-mail yesterday. 
1 comment
1 |3000

He did. But I believe what he is looking into is the other issues with presence/sync between HUD and desk phone. I don't think a caller somehow remaining on hold, even though the call appears to be disconnected, is related.
0 Likes 0 ·
kim avatar image
kim answered mike Deactivated commented
We hope to have this fixed in an upcoming release

If others need to open a case, please put this in the Subject: PHON-14024  Desktop App receives incorrect line status for displaying in HUD 
6 comments
1 |3000

How soon can we expect this upcoming release?
0 Likes 0 ·
mike avatar image mike commented ·
Hello Eric,  I just checked and there's no ETA available for this yet. 
0 Likes 0 ·
cxserv-support3174 avatar image cxserv-support3174 commented ·
Any update?  We are starting to resell this to different customers and this will undoubtedly be an area of concern, after all it is one of the main features of the desktop app!
0 Likes 0 ·
Cxserv Support 

Sorry this thread didn't get updated. This case has been resolved and closed.  

Where you still having issues, or just checking in? 

Mike
0 Likes 0 ·
service1234 avatar image service1234 commented ·
Hello, We are having issues so I dont think this is resolved. I have found that users who are working on softphones show as 'available' when they dont even have an internet connection, and also when they aren't really even logged in to the softphone to take calls. This is the same problem also in the online super admin interface where I click on 'groups' and click on who is available and it shows users who are not connected or not logged in as available. HUD should defintely show people who are not logged in to the softphone or not online as 'offline' or 'unavailable' or 'not logged in' etc. Please fix. Presence does show when someone is taking a call, but it misleads in showing people as available when they really aren't.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
eric-l977 avatar image
eric-l977 answered eric-l977 commented
A couple of coworkers and I have updated to version 8.3.4, which I was hoping would resolve the issues with displaying presence errors.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seemed to have fixed the issue.  The HUD for all of the other users in the office (including the users on 8.2.1), show that I am currently on a call, even though I'm not.  Furthermore, I wasn't even the one who answered that call, yet it shows I still have an active call with that number.

For one of the users on 8.3.4, I logged her out & closed RC Desktop, then deleted the two folders in Appdata>Local>RingCentral, then logged her back in.  No change.  I then did the same for myself.  Again, no change, other users are still showing I'm on that call (which I never answered), even after 40 minutes have passed since the call ended with another user.

Image below is HUD from Ext.402, running vers RC Windows, 8.3.4

Image below is from my call log, showing that I missed that call.  Call was actually answered by Ext.402, parked in Ext.104, picked up by Ext.404.

6 comments
1 |3000

shurhold3228 avatar image shurhold3228 commented ·
We had this same issue.  Support had us remove presence off every user so they were clean as day one.  Then re added presence as needed on each phone.  While this did work it was a major PITA!  Luckily we do not have a ton of phones but what a piss poor solution.  Think if you are a facility with 20, 100 or more phones.
1 Like 1 ·
Are you seeing this behavior on the desk phones presence screen?
0 Likes 0 ·
Both the Desktop app and the desk phones still show that I'm on a call.  Another user, Ext 404, is now showing an incoming call that was answered by somebody else about 10-15 minutes ago.
0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks for the tip!  I'll give it a shot later when our office closes and the phones aren't active.

We're also finally going to be getting our phones & computers on separate routers, so hopefully that resolves some issues as well.  Brandon mentioned earlier in this thread that the difference was night & day after making that separation.
0 Likes 0 ·
Separate router or switch?  Do you have your IP phones in a VLAN now?
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
gabriel-soto4635 avatar image
gabriel-soto4635 answered gabriel-soto4635 commented
Hi. Last Monday we started having issues with presence on the Blind transfers. When the receptionist transfers a call from a customer to a user using the blind transfer, the call reach the user but the presence on the HUD for the windows app and the deskphone do not sync. It shows the user is still available. Anybody is having the same issue?

10 comments
1 |3000

Hi Gabriel if you are having presence issues please open a support case and include all the details. There were some recent issues so if it's persisting let us know. 

As far as HUD not syncing with the desktphone, that is normal and we have an existing feature request.  You can visit this page to vote on the idea:   HUD Display: Please have Deskphone DND status show on HUD
0 Likes 0 ·
gabriel-soto4635 avatar image gabriel-soto4635 commented ·
thank you Mike. I opened a case 05528795 that as far that i know the engineers are working in the resolution but there is no ETA time to be resolve. But as far I been reading more on customers post i'm disappointing of selecting RC as phone provider.
0 Likes 0 ·
You're welcome.  Sorry, I know lack of certain features is very frustrating.  I don't have specific details yet, or an ETA but our Product Team does have plans for more advanced presence functionality so. Keep posting your ideas and concerns, and voting on those feature requests that most interest you. 

Mike
0 Likes 0 ·
gabriel-soto4635 avatar image gabriel-soto4635 commented ·
Mike. Blind transfers was no lack of the feature. It was working since we started using RC last December. Just suddenly this Monday it's not working any more.

0 Likes 0 ·
You should still be able to do a blind transfer.   

Call Handling: What is the difference between a Blind and Warm Transfer?

If this process doesn't work as shown in the KB article  let us know. 

Mike 
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
brandon-scivolette1312 answered
Hi Kim. You are correct. But shortly after configuring the router last time around I removed the settings because I found some conflict. I actually planned to try again this week, I am in the office overnight for a software release and planned to update the router configs again at that time.

But, the issue I described is really unique, I wonder if it could be something else. Considering we've had RC for more than 5 years and I've never had this issue. Plus, it affected an in office employee and a remote employee, both at the exact same time. I found that a bit coincidental to be just router settings.
1 |3000

anna-meens avatar image
anna-meens answered mary-community-moderator commented

Seems like this is an old issue but we are struggling with the HUD status not reflecting the app status (which appears to be accurate) for our users. Why don't they match?

1 comment
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Anna, may I know which app are you using? Is it RingCentral Phone or RingCentral App?

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app