question

victor-paolo-lopera avatar image
victor-paolo-lopera asked angela-j-richey answered

Network: Recommended Routers and Switches

Hi Team,

Requesting for an updated list of recommended routers and if possible, switches, as well. One of my customers wants to have an updated list. If we already have one, kindly send it to me. Thank you..

hardware
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

matthew-h1125 avatar image
matthew-h1125 answered
Hi Victor,

Please use the following link to check for latest recommended routers/firewalls from RingCentral. RingCentral currently does not recommend switches, but it is recommended that if you purchase a managed switch please make sure Green Ethernet has been disabled.

Any router or switch you purchase should have the ability to enable QoS and allow access (ACL or Port Trigger) to our recommended port ranges to optimize voice signaling and call quality. 

https://www.ringcentral.com/support/qos-router.html

I hope this helps. 

Thank you!
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

victor-paolo-lopera avatar image
victor-paolo-lopera answered J.B. Ferguson commented
Hi Matthew, 

I provided the same link to the customer, but cx is not satisfied with that list. He wants a more updated list than the one which we currently have.

That being said, I already set his expectation about purchasing qos enabled routers. I'm just checking if we have any updated list.

Thank you for the assistance.

Regards,
Victor
5 comments
1 |3000

b-mckool329 avatar image b-mckool329 commented ·
Mike,

Why no ASUS Routers?

I have an Asus RT-AC87U Router and would like to get your setting recommendations for this Router.  Thanks for helping out.
0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
I have an Asus RT-N66U router, which I believe is fairly comparable to the Asus RT-AC87U. Here is the RingCentral configuration document for that router. It might be a good start (or still be the same configuration).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13197292/ASUS%20RT-N66U%20Router.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
b-mckool329 avatar image b-mckool329 commented ·
Thank you Jan, however that only turns on the upload and download manager.  What about all the other ports that I see recommended for other routers, i.e.
( port triggering), these ranges need to be defined. It is not good enough to set a rule for any / any. 

5060-6000 UDP and TCP (These ports allow the phones to register)
8000-8200 UDP only (These ports are used by the Softphones for message synchronization)
16384-65535 UDP only (These ports carry voice traffic - the RTP streams) 
8801-8802 UDP and TCP (These ports are for RC Meetings & Rooms signaling via SIP)
Port 80 and 443 TCP only (These ports are used for initial phone provisioning)
Port 123 UDP only (This port allows NTP: date and time updates)
4000-5000 UDP (Mobile App Media)
20000-60000 UDP (RTP and SRTP Soft phone) 
Corporate Directory (LDAP) TCP client-side 443 & 636 server-side 443 & 636

Set QoS on the router/firewall by setting Traffic Prioritization on the following port ranges:

(for traffic to and from 199.255.120.0/22 and 199.68.212.0/22 )
Prioritize 5060-6000 for both UDP and TCP
Prioritize 8801 and 8802 for TCP
Prioritize 16384-65535 on UDP

QOS:

If your router supports QOS, configure QOS rules on your router / firewall to prioritize the traffic on these port ranges so the voice traffic is processed ahead of the data traffic: 

5060-6000 UDP AND- TCP
16384-16482 UDP
20000-60000 UDP

0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
I use all the port settings as you show above. I have never had an issue with my connections.
0 Likes 0 ·
brandon-scivolette1312 avatar image
brandon-scivolette1312 answered brandon-scivolette1312 commented
I've reviewed your recommended routers, but for our company I am considering different options. I came across a guide that discusses best routers for SMB's with VoIP and I'm interested in two routers they recommend, both by DrayTek.

My question is: These DrayTek routers appear to have been created with a large focus on VoIP, but they don't specifically state that they support SIP, instead stating "H.323 Passthrough". Since even low range, consumer routers support SIP I'm assuming these do as well, but I thought I'd better ask if anyone has experience using RC with either the DrayTek Vigor2925Vac or DrayTech Vigor2925Vn plus.
2 comments
1 |3000

mike avatar image mike commented ·
HI Brandon,  I checked with our Ter3 engineers and they did test the 2925Vac but it failed. So,  I can't say for sure about the other model, but if anyone else here on the Community has tested it, please chime in.

Mike
0 Likes 0 ·
brandon-scivolette1312 avatar image brandon-scivolette1312 commented ·
That's good to know. Thank you!
0 Likes 0 ·
jasmine-m3400 avatar image
jasmine-m3400 answered mike Deactivated commented
Do we have a list of incompatible routers? It would be great to have that as well. 
1 comment
1 |3000

mike avatar image mike commented ·
No... we don't maintain a list of incompatible routers.  It would be nearly impossible to maintain such a list as there are so many variables.  One router might work for one person based on their network configuration and number of users, while it may not work for another.  There are just too many models on the market to create and maintain any kind of list and keep it current.
0 Likes 0 ·
lancaster1 avatar image
lancaster1 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Hi Mike...I have the TP-link AC3200 on your list and have set up the recommended QoS but still getting calls with intermittent chopped up voice for the other party.  We have a brand new setup with only 3 phones and I'm having trouble getting to anyone at RC who can actually help.  I've run lots of your Voip quality tests connected directly to the router and get jitter readings of 7-30ms with overall MOS score typically in 3-4 range.  My ISP (a local fixed wireless provider that has many other customers using RC successfully) says that there are high ping times and packet loss at the RC SIP gateway.  He says nothing is wrong with my connection to the internet and the latency is sub-10ms.  Any ideas or someone at RC local to SF Bay Area who can help me solve this?  Thanks
1 comment
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey LANCASTER,

Are you still having issues? I see you have an open case with us so I'd like to follow up :)
0 Likes 0 ·
Angelica K Jones avatar image
Angelica K Jones answered
The article you are explaining is really good to see. I want to say nowadays many people are looking for airbnb clone tutorial so for them I want to suggest going through the link once which I am sharing, it's helping you a lot for understanding the cloning process of Airbnb.
1 |3000

sharon-g-kim avatar image
sharon-g-kim answered
This is really a great pleasure to communicate with you guys. So I suggest going with Netgear because it's the best router in the world right now. By the way, nowadays many people eager to learn  how much money do apps make per ad so for them, I suggest following the best material for a better understanding of this concept. 
1 |3000

angela-j-richey avatar image
angela-j-richey answered
The router and switches are really important for all of us nowadays, and if you are looking for the best router then I believe you should follow what Sharon G Kim told you because Netgear is really one of the best routers in the world. I want to say that if you are also interested in gpt2 ai then you should go through the article's link which I am sharing.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app