question

eli-fisher3117 avatar image
eli-fisher3117 asked saadetswift16514 commented

VoIP Calling Unavailable after iOS 10 Update

Yesterday I updated my iPhone to iOS 10 and now I am unable to make calls over my carrier (T-Mobile's) network. The error that shows on my ring central app states that VoIP calling is unavailable. This feature worked fine before the update to iOS 10. I am not interested in using my Wifi network as the call quality degrades significantly. At this point, it seems the only option is to use the ring out feature which is very buggy at best. Is anyone having this issue? Any advice to help sort this out would be greatly appreciated. My gut tells me this is an iOS issue that will need to be resolved with a ring central app update.

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

nathan-malone1532 avatar image
nathan-malone1532 answered
What is the app version of the RingCentral Mobile app you have installed on the iPhone?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

eli-fisher3117 answered
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for quick response, I'm currently running Version 8.2.2
1 |3000

nathan-malone1532 avatar image
nathan-malone1532 answered
Thanks for the info Eli.

I looked over the app with one of my Colleagues who is running iOS 10 on his iPhone and version 8.2.2 of the app. He actually used to be an Apple Genius too so he really known what he is talking about when it comes to the iOS issues.

We tested VoiP calling over his cellular carrier network and had no issues, so I want to verify a few settings with you. When you open up your setting on the Moble app can you make sure that the VoiP calling option is turned on and showing a nice Blue indicator showing it is on. After that open the Call Settings options and make sure that you have the Always Use VoiP setting selected from the list of options there.

If both those are set correctly you will need to make sure that you have a good solid Data connection from T-Mobile. A VoiP call is going to use your Data connection, not your calling signal if that makes sense. You may have good call reception, but a really bad Data connection. In this case, the phone would not be able to make a VoiP call from the app.

Thanks, Let me know if this helps.
1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered mike Deactivated commented
2 comments
1 |3000

mike avatar image mike commented ·
Thanks for sharing Brandon.  I'm going to check with our developers as they are likely aware of this. I'll post any update that I might receive. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
If anyone else is seeing this problem, and you've check the settings Nate posted above, please reply here and let us know who your carriers is. 

Thanks!
Mike

0 Likes 0 ·
eli-fisher3117 answered
Thanks everyone for the insight, I can verify that all of my settings are correct.  After reviewing Brandon's post, I believe this is a network issue.  The odd piece is that when I test my data signal through SpeedTest.net, I appear to have a great data signal/speed.  Hopefully the developers will uncover what is going on, unfortunately I made the mistake of updating to iOS 10 to early.  
1 |3000

mike avatar image
mike Deactivated answered
Thanks again Brandon.. I found a 2nd thread discussing the same issue. Looks like the temp fix might be to restart the phone.   https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/52tj82/carrier_settings_251_issue_with_ios_10/
1 |3000

eli-fisher3117 answered mike Deactivated commented
Hi all, early this morning Apple pushed a carrier settings update that has fixed the issue.  If anyone is having this same issue, sync your phone to your itunes account and click the check for update button.  This should automatically download the new carrier settings correcting the issue.  Thanks again to all that have contributed to this thread, I really appreciate the support.
1 comment
1 |3000

Eli,  Thank you for sharing the update!!!
0 Likes 0 ·
maggie-maid3760 avatar image
maggie-maid3760 answered maggie-maid3760 commented
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled is any one having problems after update 2 iOS 10.2 on the ring central app for iP....  tmobile
4 comments
1 |3000

Andres Sauceda avatar image Andres Sauceda commented ·
I am the GM of my business and rely heavily on this so I'm disappointed in this. I went to an Apple Store and they restored me but my restore requires me to get 10.2. So that didn't help.
1 Like 1 ·
Oscar, and anyone else having this issue.  This seems to be a lingering issue ever since the release of 10.0.    There are a lot of discussion on the net about these devices losing connectivity.  I't sounds a little like the problem may have resurfaced after 10.2 was released.  
0 Likes 0 ·
eli-fisher3117 avatar image eli-fisher3117 commented ·
Hi guys, this looks to be the exact same issue that was caused when Apple updated to 10.0.   The last time this issue occurred Apple pushed an update three days later that corrected the problem.  It's anyones guess as to when Apple might push another update, especially with the Holidays.  One solution at this point is to revert back to a previous version of iOS.  Simply revert to the last backup before the update and the app will work again.  At that point, wait a couple of weeks before upgrading with the hope that Apple will release another update to correct the issues that 10.2 has caused.
0 Likes 0 ·
maggie-maid3760 avatar image maggie-maid3760 commented ·
2 weeks with no service on the go and runing
0 Likes 0 ·
adim-matt15170 avatar image
adim-matt15170 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Same error on my Pixel 3xl (Google Fi).  RC Phone app works perfect while on wifi, however once changed over to mobile data I instantly see an error that 'VOIP calling is unavailable".  Outbound calls to all numbers fail.  Inbound calls from anywhere are successful.  I currently have the app set to use RINGOUT because thats the only way I can complete an outbound call without wifi.
Help?
1 comment
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey ADIM Matt, I would suggest contacting Support so that they can do a deep dive into what's going on.
0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app