question

joe3475 avatar image
joe3475 asked ·

RingCentral Rooms and sharing using HDMI

According to the feature list and getting started/user guide, RingCentral Rooms supports sharing over HDMI. However, in none of the documentation does it describe how to do this or list supported adaptors to permit direct sharing rather than WiFi.

Is it actually possible to share an HDMI input on RC Rooms or is this just a mistake in the docs?
topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mike avatar image
mike answered ·
It should be yes.  I have someone looking into the details and we'll update this thread as soon as soon as we can. 

Mike 

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

joe3475 avatar image
joe3475 answered ·
Mike,

It sounds like you are describing connecting a machine in the room directly to a television in the room. That is what we are currently doing if all attendees are in the room. From the Getting Started guide for RC rooms, it sounds like it's possible for me to share to the RC meeting using an HDMI connection (and possibly a video capture device) rather than using the share.ringcentral.com link.

Our WiFi is sometimes not the best, so the ability to share into the meeting using HDMI or other direct connection would be great. Especially for visitors since it doesn't require installation of the RC meetings application.

Thanks,
joe

2 comments Share

Hi Joe, If I'm understanding you correctly, the answer would be no.  However, I may not fully be understanding your needs, If you want, you may wish to give your account manager a call and discuss in this in detail to see if there's a solution. 

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hi Mike, 

I think Joe is referring to the information on this  page:

0 Likes 0 · ·
dierdre avatar image
dierdre answered ·
Joe,

I did a bit of research... Maybe this would help Mike understand your scenario better...

Are you referring to a set up similar to this?

Wired HDMI Screen Share Via Capture Device
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201504265-Wired-HDMI-Screen-Share-via-Capture-Device

1 comment Share

This is perfect! Thank you!
1 Like 1 · ·
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Joe, 

I did get confirmation that you can share via HDMI. 
the company will need to use a USB Capture device that connects between the Mac and a client (desktop).  
If you need more details, let me know.

Mike

joe3475 avatar image
joe3475 answered ·
Mike,

The link Diedre provided has exactly the information that I was looking for. Am I correct in assuming that the current version of RC Rooms will work the same as the version of Zoom Rooms referenced?

Thanks,
joe
1 comment Share

You're welcome, Joe. Was thinking of the same question too...

Thanks in advance, Mike.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Jovan Ortiz avatar image
Jovan Ortiz answered ·
Hi Everyone, I've been searching all over for this sort of discussion. 

I have a question...

I am integrating a set up just as Joe describe so that I can content via HDMI capture device just like Zoom. 

If not in a call, will the HDMI Capture device show the connected computer on the displays? Therefore accomplishing a simple "LOCAL PRESENTATION" if local users want to jump in a room and collaborate.
2 comments Share

Hi Jovan! Nice to See you!
0 Likes 0 · ·
heh
0 Likes 0 · ·
simon2937 avatar image
simon2937 answered ·
Yes, it would.

However, an easier option though is to use the Direct Share feature on RingCentral Meeting app which uses Proximity Detection feature of the latest version of RingCentral Rooms to share content to the screen.

matt-sauer7068 avatar image
matt-sauer7068 answered ·
I just got the magwell and you can share in a meeting via hdmi, but it shows up as a capture device so you flip between it and the room camera....was hoping it was concurrent. Going to try firmware on magwell to see if it will show as as content source instead.
16 comments Share

Hi Matt,

We recently ran into a snag with the Magwell cables and RingCentral Rooms. We are working on getting this fixed in our 10.2 release. I do apologize for the inconvenience!
0 Likes 0 · ·
Any update on this. A Magewell USB Capture HDMI Gen 1 works fine.

If you use a Gen 2 device, we get a "Switch Camera" icon on the on the controller. So like Matt said above you cannot screen share as well as show your video to participants. This only happens with a Gen 2 device.

Downfall is i cannot find Gen 1 devices to purchase anywhere. 
I have 4 new rooms i need to setup and i would like this to be working
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hey Jeff,

As I mentioned earlier, we are looking to get this fixed in our 10.2 release which will be later on this year (as long as things go smoothly). If I receive a solid ETA I will be sure to update this thread.
1 Like 1 · ·
Do any of the other hdmi capture devices currently work?  I would like to try the Logitech screen share.  I still have my magwell gen 2 sitting on a shelf awaiting an update...

Pre-requisites:

0 Likes 0 · ·
Any updates on this?
1 Like 1 · ·
Show more comments
christopher-peace10539 avatar image
christopher-peace10539 answered ·
Any word on this? Been told by multiple sources at ringcentral that this is part of the August update, but nothing was mentioned in the feature notes.
1 comment Share

Hey Christopher,

As far as I know nothing has changed & it's still planned :) Regarding feature notes, I think there are a few small details that don't always get mentioned, like minor bug fixes, this may simply have not made it into the notes.
0 Likes 0 · ·
matt-sauer7068 avatar image
matt-sauer7068 answered ·
I heard it is in the September release but its still going through QA during call with our RC team today.  I expect that this will enable the additional devices to show as a capture source instead of a camera source.  Ive been trying to get a beta test for a while but still not releasing yet.
1 comment Share

Definitely a miss not having a beta release, even a private one. The handful of community members that want this feature would be great QA resources.
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces