question

matt-ready4659 avatar image
matt-ready4659 asked sylvain-deschenes13007 commented

Chrome Extension vs Desktop App

What is the interaction between the Chrome extension and the Desktop app? Some of our users just started using the Chrome extension. They are all softphone-only users. I have heard of a few instances of not being able to pick up calls on the extension, or dropped calls from the extension. We did not have any reliability issues like this when only using the Desktop app. They both ring at the same time too and the co-existence is confusing. Can anyone comment as to the configuration differences between the two and why we may be experiencing issues with the Chrome extension?

softphone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

nathan-malone1532 avatar image
nathan-malone1532 answered sylvain-deschenes13007 commented
Hello Matt,

I don't know of any specific reason why the Users would be having issues answering calls on the Chrome plugin.

The main difference between the app and the plugin is features and capability. The plugin for Chrome is pretty basic as far as features go. It's an integration into the Chrome web browser to make things a little easier for those who use chrome and specifically Gmail all day. 

The Softphone is a fully developed phone. All the latest and greatest features are constantly being added to the softphone app. I would suggest using one or the other. If your use of the phone is pretty basic, taking and making only a few calls throughout the day and you are in Gmail all the time, use the Chrome plugin and don't even log into the softphone. If you still having connectivity issues with this you can open a case and tech support can help to assist.

If you're using the phone constantly during the day, making calls, taking calls, transferring, placing calls on park, calling contacts, sending text messages and faxes, then use the Softphone app, it will provide a better experience for those Users.

To avoid the double ringing, which could be part of the thing causing the call issues with the Chrome app, either have the Users uninstall the Chrome app or don't log into it if you are going to use the softphone.
7 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

matt-ready4659 avatar image matt-ready4659 commented ·
Thank you Nathan. I am not a network person, but are the extension and softphone using different ports or are they connected differently to the internet?
0 Likes 0 ·
mike avatar image mike commented ·
There are indeed some different requirements.  See below.  Or, if you want to view the entire list of requirements for all RingCentral products  view  Network requirements, and troubleshooting call quality (QOS) issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thank you Mike. Would you expect there to be any variations in call quality depending on what ports or protocols are being utilized? For example the softphone using SIP for signaling and web plugin using HTTP/TLS/etc.?
0 Likes 0 ·
mike avatar image mike commented ·
As long as all the correct ports are open and there's sufficient upload & download speed, you shouldn't really notice a difference. a SIP device could use both TCP or UDP.  Quite some time ago we switched everything to TCP which assures all voice packets arrive in order.  In the event that there's poor sound quality you'll always want to check the network first using this guide which will always have our latest requirements.   Network requirements, and troubleshooting call quality (QOS) issues.
0 Likes 0 ·
Okay. We have 100 up/down so shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
chris-duquette4018 avatar image
chris-duquette4018 answered
I don't use either, but i would suggest just using the softphone, you can set it to always be in the foreground to make sure calls are never missed and the pad is always ready for dialing.
1 |3000

bradley-mendel6681 avatar image
bradley-mendel6681 answered
I think it would be great to have another chrome extension that allows you to dial via the desktop app so that you can still dial from the web browser and take advantage of the desktop app features and reliability.  Its frustrating to have to choose between features.  
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app