question

mike avatar image
mike asked ·

Mobile User (Virtual Extension) Pricing

What is a virtual extension?
A virtual extension is an extension that is not tied to a phone. Virtual extensions forward incoming calls to mobile phones, extensions, or other external numbers and allow for limited outbound dialing.

Why are you now charging for active virtual extensions?
A virtual extension allows users to make limited outbound calls and provides access to many of the same features as a RingCentral digital line including RingCentral mobile app, RingCentral Glip, RingCentral Meetings, integrations and more. With this advanced functionality, customers have begun using virtual extensions, in the same way, they would a digital line.

How are you defining an active virtual extension?
A virtual extension that makes or receives any combination of five (5) or more qualified calls in a billing cycle is defined as an active extension.
Please note: Virtual extensions that are tied to a digital line or a Contact Center seat, and non-user extensions such as queues, limited extensions, or BLA groups will not be charged, regardless of usage

Which calls count toward the five (10) call monthly limit?

For Virtual Extensions without a Digital Line, the following calls count toward the five call limit:

Incoming calls answered on any non-RingCentral phones (via forwarding).
Incoming calls answered on any RingCentral endpoint (ie: mobile app, web phone, etc).
Outbound calls made using RingOut - any RingOut from any endpoint.
Outbound calls made using mobile app (VOIP).
Incoming calls, manually forwarding to another extension.

Which calls do not count toward the five (10) call monthly limit?

Calls that do not count toward the five (5) call limit are:
Incoming calls that are not answered or go to voicemail.
Direct, internal calls made to or from another RingCentral extension.
Incoming and Outgoing Faxes.
Incoming and Outgoing Text Messages.
Reply with Message feature on the RingCentral Desktop and Mobile app
Call Flip

NOTE: This does not include forwarded calls, or calls across different accounts.

When does this take effect?

The rate changes will start with your May 2017 billing cycle. Charges for your May 2017 billing cycle will appear on your June 2017 statement.

What will be the cost of each active extension?
The cost of each active virtual extension will be the same as your accounts current cost per digital line. If you want to upgrade to a full digital line, please contact your RingCentral account manager.

How do I know which virtual extensions are active at any given time?
System administrators can log into their RingCentral account to see which virtual extensions will be billed (and each extensions usage details) under the billing tab.

How can I see how many active virtual extensions I have right now?
An email was sent to all administrators of the account indicating the number of active virtual extensions on your account. If you have any questions, please contact your account manager at 800-591-7973.

Does this mean the monthly billing on my extensions can vary?
Yes. Because the charges for virtual extensions are usage based, it is possible that the same virtual extension may be billed in one month but not in another if usage falls below the five call monthly limit.

What are the benefits of converting these extensions to digital lines?
By converting the virtual extension to a digital line, the end user will get full access to RingCentrals softphone or a desk phone and full outbound dialing. To convert your virtual extension to a digital line, please contact your account manager by calling 800-591-7973.

topic-default
20 comments
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

I am in the exact same situation as you. I hope they reverse course or they are going to lose a lot of customers. If we are using forwarding to cell phone and then ring-out to cell phone, why do we need to pay for an entire digital line with VOIP, etc. Please RC, I don't want to switch, but you are forcing me due to 700% price increase ($5 to $35/line).
0 Likes 0 · ·
TKO,  You are correct.  You may want to give you account manager a call to discuss the details.  However a few advantages that you'll have are

1. Your salesmen can give out direct dial numbers once they have their own digital lines. This way their friequent contacts don't have to go through the main number+ extension IVR etc.
  2. With their own DL, they'll be able to simply make ouitgoing calls right from the mobile app (and the RingCentral Desktop application) without having to use the RingOut feature and cell phone minutes.
0 Likes 0 · ·
You won't be charged for the calls that go to voicemail.

However if the answered calls exceed 5, then you'll be charged on those particular extensions.  I am a bit confused how you would answer them though.  It sounds like you might be referring to the HUD feature when you are referring to the "stand alone" window.  However you can only be logged into the main number or one of the extensions one at at time.  How are you, or how would you answer those calls?  Can you please clarify in cased I'm missing something.

Mike

0 Likes 0 · ·
No, the copy above is correct. A virtual extension is not tied to a phone, whereas a digital line is assigned to a specific desk-phone or soft-phone.  For a more detailed description and differences visit:   RingCentral Digital Line Overview
0 Likes 0 · ·
I believe we all understand the benefits of individual lines (digital lines). But we use the virtual extensions and mobile phones to save money. I also believe that if TKO wanted to give his salespeople their own lines he would have done that already.
1 Like 1 · ·
Show more comments
jay3970 avatar image
jay3970 answered ·
This is a terrible decision by RingCentral. Based on this change, I will have to find a new provider. I use 50-60 virtual extensions for people in the field that get calls infrequently, but certainly more than 5 calls a month. I can justify $5/month for the number/virtual extension, but no way I can justify the full cost for that many lines. I guess I have to cancel and change to another provider pretty quick.
1 comment Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

700% PRICE INCREASE -- THIS IS CRAZY
(We are on the premium plan at $35/month.)

RingCentral better staff-up their customer service call center come May/June, because if people actually understood what this post meant, there would be hundreds of angry replies. This is a big deal.

1 Like 1 · ·
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
I would first like to thank you all for posting your questions and concerns here on the Community.

The decision to make this change was not without serious thought and consideration regarding the impact that it will have on certain customers. Well do our best to address all concerns and provide clarification around additional questions posted to this thread. In the event you have additional concerns, we encourage you to contact your account manager to discuss your individual circumstances so that we can assist you on a personal level in the best manner possible.

As we think long term, we strongly believe that this change not only positions RingCentral to provide a more robust offering, but also provides end users a more complete service that gives you the tools you need to manage and grow your own businesses.

Thank you,

Mike
1 comment Share

Make no mistake, the only consideration was how much more money RingCentral could make by implementing this change. There is absolutely no spin that this benefits the customer. Perhaps you should consider a $10/month cost for a virtual extension. That is still double the price we are paying now, but would at least be reasonable. This "well thought-out" plan is simply price gouging.
0 Likes 0 · ·
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
In an effort to provide the most clear information, as possible, we'll be regularly organizing the content on this thread. We understand that some users will have a variety of   unique scenario type questions, and we are asking that you contact your account managers directly to discuss your situation.  We have also created a KnowledgeBase article that provides some additional details.   In addition, any posts that do not conform to our Community guidelines, contain false information, cause confusion,  or do not add value to the main subject will be removed.  

KB Article: Active Virtual Extensions Frequently Asked Questions

Whywas my post removed?

If you need assistance contacting your account manager, please send a private email to community.support@ringcentral.com with you account information. 

Thank you!

Mike

brayan avatar image
brayan answered ·
You know, the more I analyze this "well thought out" implementation of Active Virtual Extensions the more illogical and ridiculous it seems. To the point that it sounds like an April Fools joke....
5 comments Share

Except for the fact that the Knowledge Based Article is on-line for everyone to see...and it's still there after April 1st!
1 Like 1 · ·
Jan,

Do you mind giving us your honest opinion about this? I'm curious to here other points of view. I could be missing something.
0 Likes 0 · ·
I too have a lot of questions. I have asked these questions independently in a Partner venue and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm reserving my opinions and comments for now until I have a more solid understanding. It could cost me several deals.
0 Likes 0 · ·
I realized that I made a mistake in stating that outgoing calls from the mobile app use the mobile network only. Outgoing calls also use a RC trunk in order for the called party to see the RC number on their caller ID. It's just like dialing into your extension choosing the option to place a call.

So a RC customer with only a single-user RC Office Plan and a workforce of 50 mobile users will place heavy use on the trunks. I understand this, but there should be an alternative solution other than to automatically convert the extensions to digital lines after only 5 calls.
0 Likes 0 · ·
I bet you are right. I was told when we signed up recently in December 2016 that virtual extensions would meet our needs. That is the only reason we went with RC. If we had known this was in the works, we never would have made the move. I am just thankful we are not under contract. I feel bad for all the people that are under contract or prepaid he year, and will is be told exactly what you said. "This change does not constitute a violation of the agreement."
0 Likes 0 · ·
Michael Torner avatar image
Michael Torner answered ·
Changing policy and only giving a month's notice is not right a major service change and pricing change like this should be rolled out within 3 to 12 months 3 at the very least!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces