question

brian-hughes avatar image
brian-hughes asked ·

Phone dialing numbers by itself

I have Polycom phones that are self-dialing clients and intercoms.

This is very aggravating as this process never stops. Client and customers are getting non-stop calls from our phones and there is nothing we can do to stop the calls. It is as if the phones have been hacked or Casper the ghost is in our office.

Technical Support is not helpful at all, as I keep getting the same girl who is reading answers from a manual...

Is anyone else having this issue?

General Topic
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brian-hughes answered ·
Our network is protected by Fortinet Firewall. No inbound ports have been forwarded to the phones.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered ·
Are these phones purchased from RC or you provided them?

I would review this or share with your Fortinet vendor:  https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/9233
Notably:
In a stateful firewall, no inbound ports need to be opened because they are automatically opened upon a reply to outbound traffic initiated by the RingCentral endpoint in the local network.

brian-hughes answered ·
The phone were rented from RC.

As stated, there are no ports opened to the phones. We have one phone that was re-provisioned as it was self dialing. It is doing it again... this time we took videos of the issue. RC has sent out a replacement phone....

mike avatar image
mike answered ·
This is strange indeed.  If you haven't opened a support case yet, can you please do so?  Please include the most recent samples (dates, times, #s etc) in the case notes.

Mike

bloomfield10109 avatar image
bloomfield10109 answered ·
I have this issue with a VVX-500 purchased from Ring Central. It does it every day and dials my other phone and records whatever is going on in the room with the other phone until the recorder for a voicemail stops. Then you can go back and listen to what was recorded. Strange! Today, 12/29/17, it has done it 5 times.
ed

dave-marler4696 avatar image
dave-marler4696 answered ·
We had this problem with VVX-500's as well. The fix was to remove the extensions from the HUD. According to support, there is a bug in the 500's soft-keys that causes this anomoly.

judith-colon9993 avatar image
judith-colon9993 answered ·
I receive phantom calls all the time!! It's annoying and my IT tech didn't know how to help me with this!. I have 1,850 "missed" calls. Please help!!!!! 
1 comment

Hey Judith, I've forked your reply to its own post Please reference the new conversation here: Phantom Calls
0 Likes 0 ·
rex-walker13163 avatar image
rex-walker13163 answered ·
I personally believe (no proof, but strong belief) that RingCentral could stuffing minutes into user accounts with their apps by performing auto dials.  On another account, I received over 2500 calls from 1800 numbers in 200 area codes TO A FAX NUMBER.  Multiple attempts on multiple days from the same number - WTF?  Every call was 48 to 51 seconds.  No less, no more.  Majority of calls were from mobile numbers.  I will be calling these numbers to see if they are RingCentral accounts.

Oh - and no, they will not refund the overages even though all of these mobile numbers are calling a fax account and RC is charging "PAGE" overages due to the thousands of 48 to 51 second calls.

Any RC fans out there that could explain this?  A brand new account.. thousands of mobile phone calls, multiple numbers, multiple attempts, different days... TO A FAX.

I have no explanation from RC.

So google traffic pumping?  How does calling my fax 2K+ times benefit google? The calls are from carriers such as Metro PCS, Verizon, AT&T Wireless, Cricket, and even local AT&T IP.

I don't believe now that it has anything to do with ring central app.  I'm reviewing other logs on a new account with zero calls inbound.    My search continues although now I wonder if they assigned me a heavily used number and these are remnant calls.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app