question

zarios-hair-salon9961 avatar image
zarios-hair-salon9961 asked cindy-yeomans commented

I have created a group of contacts, how can I send an SMS to the group?

I have successfully uploaded a list of contacts, I then created a group, but, I can not figure out how to send an SMS to the group.

If I search for the group name, all of the contacts in that group show up, but, I can not send to all of them without clicking each individual member.

Am I doing something wrong?

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

luke2909 avatar image
luke2909 answered cindy-yeomans commented
It turns out that you cannot currently message to a group, individual contacts have to be added when sending SMS messages to multiple people. This is a great idea though and I'm sure others could use this on RingCentral as well!

If this feature is important to the way you want to use your RingCentral account, I highly recommend making an idea post on this community site. If other RingCentral users also like this idea, they can vote on it. This is where many new features for our services can start out. We do have a helpful Walkthrough for Submitting a New Idea in the RingCentral Community.

8 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

lauren-clarke avatar image lauren-clarke commented ·
I would completely agree. Messaging to a group of contacts is key for our business.  Getting information out to all our customers one by one is uber time consuming. Any clue when and if this feature might be added?
1 Like 1 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Lauren, I would suggest following and voting these threads to keep up-to-date on if/when we will offer this type of feature

SMS Group Message

Respond to Group Messages from Outside Numbers
1 Like 1 ·
zarios-hair-salon9961 avatar image zarios-hair-salon9961 commented ·
The whole reason I created the group, was to be able to send a message to that group. I thought I had read somewhere that this was how to accomplish sending to a group.
I will submit the idea.
0 Likes 0 ·
deb-schmidt avatar image deb-schmidt commented ·
This is a very much needed feature.  So many people do not read emails but will check their texts.  Please do something about this as soon as possible.  Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
julie-james avatar image julie-james commented ·
I agree with everyone else.  This would save SO MUCH TIME.  Like the others, I too created a Group with the idea that it would save me from searching for the 180 names I need to contact.  Please consider finding a way for us to do this.  Thank you!
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
J.B. Ferguson avatar image
J.B. Ferguson answered J.B. Ferguson commented
No, you are not doing anything wrong. Group messaging by clicking on a group is not yet a functionality of RIngCentral business SMS. To send out a group message, and have it received as a group, the recipients must be entered into our Company Contacts (which clients will normally not be listed in). When you enter more than one personal contact (e.g., clients) you will be notified that the message will be sent out as individual messages (not a group).

If you try to send a text message to a client (Personal Contacts) and also someone in your Company Contacts (an employee) you will get a message that all recipients must be in the Company Contacts to send a group message. It further informs you that the text will be send as individual messages.

6 comments
1 |3000

J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
It would serve as a "container" for those personal contacts in a given company, or a given occupation, etc. depending on the needs of the user. It would not help as a contact group.

1 Like 1 ·
I am not wanting to send a "Group Message" but a "message to a group". Does that make sense? I would like to send a message to multiple clients, without having to click each one individually. I am not looking to have group responses, etc.
0 Likes 0 ·
Mere semantics. We are talking about the same thing. Sending a message to a group is called a group message.
0 Likes 0 ·
If you are sending a message to a group (i.e., a Group Message) you will have to enter each person individually as I indicated above. Also, as I mentioned, the SMS text will be sent as individual messages.

By the way, I do understand the difference you are mentioning in your last message. You wouldn't want any recipient to respond to the group...but that would not happen with the way I mentioned above. But you would have to click on each person individually, as I and Luke mentioned.
0 Likes 0 ·
So, if I may ask, what is the point of creating a group in the personal contacts? It seems to serve no "real" purpose.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
tracy-rushing10707 avatar image
tracy-rushing10707 answered julie-james commented
is this text to group feature available now, i just noticed this message string is a year old?
3 comments
1 |3000

deb-schmidt avatar image deb-schmidt commented ·
I am sorry I spent all that time making a group when it does no good.  
1 Like 1 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Tracy, we have not implemented this feature yet. Please vote and follow this thread in order to receive updates if/when they become available
0 Likes 0 ·
julie-james avatar image julie-james commented ·
Same here, Deb!
0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image
J.B. Ferguson answered
Here's an example of what you will see if you enter individual clients (personal contacts) to SMS them all at once.

Here's an example of what I referred to in my previous message if you were to include an employee from Company contacts and a client from personal contacts.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app